Step One: Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Step One: Case

Since this is your first rig your building I suggest you pick up a copy of Maximum PC (Febuary 2007). In there they have an easy to follow how to build a superb $1500 gaming computer. If you do some shopping around I'm guessing you could build it for a couple hundred less than that cosidering the Geforce 8 video card they used can be had for less now and you could save on the case itself and get something better and still get the specs they advertise beating those other machines they list. Infact it looks like you could upgrade the CPU a notch and still easily stay under their $1500 figure.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't go for the GeForce 8 series. Even though I know they are a fantastic card and they outperform everything, I would go for a 7900GS setup. In fact, I would probably do a SLI setup. I just think the current 8 series is really overpriced, even though it is probably worth it. Either way, a 7900 SLI setup or an 8 series card will offer you some of the best available graphics performance to date. It's like comparing yellow gold to white gold.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I will take a look at that issue of Maximum PC. And thanks for the tips on the video card. That will be one of the last things i get though... which will allow for plenty of time for price dropping and better cards :).

I found this case, a Thermaltake Armor case: http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-armor-case-black.html and it looks like it has a lot of room and looks sweet too. What do you guys think?

Comment

Spongebob, the ones you mentioned with the huge fan in the front and side look fantastic, i'll keep those in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th View Post
            Card readers? PSUs? These are things you should purchase separately from the case.

Any computer you build now will be virtually obsolete in five years, and completely obsolete in ten. Unless you mean you'd like to slowly upgrade it over that period of time, but at that point the case is the only thing that will really last. Even then, ten years from now I really doubt we'll still be using ATX cases.

In any case, you should just go to Newegg (provided you're in the U.S.) and search for cases. With a few customization options under a Power Search, you'll find something appropriate for you quickly.
            The use of lasers in the computer parts would definitely change some factors. they predict it in about 4 yrs i read in the newspaper. I strongly doubt that we will use ATX in the future if the lasers use more or less energy.

Comment

Working...
            X