Step One: Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step One: Case

I am going to be building a fantastic computer over the next 3-4 months and I figure the first thing i should look for is a case. Of course, I know that depending on what I'm going to be putting in the case will help be pick the case, but i don't know yet.

The few things i am sure of are these:
    • Size doesn't matter.
    • I want a case that can handle any motherboard and any extras i put on it. I plan to have this computer for 5-10 years. So i want it to be easily customizable.
    • I do take pictures, so card readers would be great to have on the case, but not crucial.

Re: Step One: Case

Your specs don't narrow the field down very much yet. While I have been fond of several of the Thermaltake models, I have tested many from different manufacturers that are very well built and have feature lists that will suit many needs. Your budget would be helpful for this item also.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I agree with Darth. We need to know your budget. Do you plan on overclocking? If so, you probably want a nice case with a side duct and room for fan upgrades - 120mm and a few 80's. You also want to see what power supplies are offered with the cases. If you have a powerful one, that's great. If not, there are plenty of good ones to chose from. You'll need a high powered one if you plan on overclocking. If you want it to last those 10 years, it's always a good idea to get a really nice one with a lot of power.

Suggested brands: Antec (personal favorite), Fortron, Corsair, OCZ, Enermax, and some others.

Suggested case brands: Thermaltake, Aspire (nice and look cool), Lian, Antec (if you can afford it), and many others.

Comment

Card readers? PSUs? These are things you should purchase separately from the case.

Any computer you build now will be virtually obsolete in five years, and completely obsolete in ten. Unless you mean you'd like to slowly upgrade it over that period of time, but at that point the case is the only thing that will really last. Even then, ten years from now I really doubt we'll still be using ATX cases.

In any case, you should just go to Newegg (provided you're in the U.S.) and search for cases. With a few customization options under a Power Search, you'll find something appropriate for you quickly.

Comment

I have some cases book marked from Newegg from recent purchases so I figured I'd share my favorites with you. These 2 cases from Newegg seem like they might have good cooling potential if you ask me, thats one of the most important features to look for when buying a computer case in my opinion.

These are basically the same as each other.

Comment

Well, my OVERALL budget is around 2,000. wow first time i thought about it... anyways

I guess for the case 60-120?

And yes i do plan a slow upgrade of the parts. Spongebob, thanks for the tips.

Comment

Bigger cases usually make it easier for you to upgrade, and since size isn't a problem, I'd say get a big case! I just bought an Antec P180 off a friend, and although I haven't put anything into it other than a motherboard and a cpu, it's of pretty decent quality and is supposed to be good at keeping things cool and quiet. Man, I wish I had two thousand bucks to spend on a computer...
              Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
              Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
              CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
              CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
              GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Comment

haha I don't know if i am including the 1250 dollar 30" monitor from dell in that budget yet, so don't get to mad...
                Last edited by CColtManM; 01-09-2007, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Well, if you fit the $1250 into the $2000 budget, you won't get much for a computer. You will get some performance, but it won't be extroadinary.

Are you absolutely set on that monitor? Do you need something that big? I just purchased a Hanns-G 19" Widescreen using my Christmas money. I love it!!! It's huge and a really good value at $180.

My point is, that monitor is really expensive. It might not be comparable to future models especially if you want it to last 10 years. Get something cheaper, or you might be disappointed as time goes on. maybe???

Comment

Well, remember I do expect to change virtually every piece of the computer once, twice or more in the ten years to keep up with change and Murphy's Law.

That monitor may be too big, i was also looking at Dell's 24" series, but i have a 19" and a 17" dual monitor setup now. The 19" $99 dollar monitors that were on the Deal of the Day here at TT would look good next to a 24" or 30" monitor. Basically, i haven't made up my mind yet on monitors. That will be the last or second to the last thing i buy.

But you're 1250 - 2000 dollar budget remark as got me a bit sad, i would think for that cash i'd fit in the above average to better versions of products out there.

Comment

I replied a little earlier, but somehow I got logged out.

Anyway, a $750 computer will be nice, but it will not be that super computer that I think that you are looking for. That kind of money will get you a pretty nice system, but it will not last very long. I was thinking of using the money to build a system that will be a more future proof computer.

I don't have the luxury or the budget to buy a huge monitor, so logically, I can't see why anyone would need a 1200 monitor.

I will post some ideas for a build later. As for you, do some research on this forum. There are tons of pretty nice builds for about the same budget range. Also, visit Newegg.com to get everything need for the build. I trust them 100%.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I love newegg.com too!

Well, i suppose i could build a 2000 dollar budget computer, and just come up with the monitor later. Dell has a nice 22" for 296 i saw on the main page here, that might do it too!

Comment

Well, $750 will get you a budget computer. $1704 will get you something really nice. I mean something that will not have any cost saving items. A computer in the $1700 range would be fantastic. You can really do a lot with that amount.

Comment

GREAT! Provided that's my total budget, because right now it is, what type of case would i be safe at getting that would be designed for a PC with that price range. That's what i should have said from the get go!

Comment

i like silverstone cases
                              TJ-07 - my favorite case of all time

TJ-06 - huge

Comment

Working...
                              X