Seagate 100GB Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagate 100GB Hard Drive

I just bought this HD at Circuit City for $40 (with rebates) and was wondering if I got a good deal or not. It has a 5 year warranty; that's good, but I don't have any experience with Seagate HD's.

Also, will the 2 MB cache be a concern? What is the difference between a 2 MB cache and a 8 MB cache? Does it matter if you're not a gamer? I don't have any idea....hoping you can advise me.

I'm wanting to put a second drive in my computer to give me more space. My OE 40GB is getting full. What is the best way to get all of my files and documents from the 40 to the new 100? Assuming I keep it. But whatever, I'll need to know since I need to upgrade. I'm on a slim budget so any free software would be most helpful. I would like to make the larger HD the primary and the 40GB a slave. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition....and DSL high speed internet.

Appreciate you guys. Thanks for any comments you have, good or bad. I need advice. Tom

Re: Seagate 100GB Hard Drive

Originally posted by burnselk
    I would like to make the larger HD the primary and the 40GB a slave.
    Why? That will require some effort but has no major benefit.

Don't worry about the cache. It does help to have 8MB, but it's not something you'd be likely to notice.

This is a good deal, though you'll be waiting for the rebates for a while.

Comment

A smaller primary drive will technically be a smidge faster, but it is almost unnoticeable. I too suggest using the 100GB drive as the spare. If you must make it the primary, look on Seagates web site and they should have a program you can use to copy the 40 GB drive onto the 100GB drive.

Is this PC homebuilt or a Dell/HP/Compaq/etc.... If it is a name brand PC, DO NOT try copying it like that as you will almost certainly lose your partition tha contains the files to restore your Windows XP. If you have the actual Windows XP disk (not a restore disk) and I do mean the actual Win XP holographic disk and a liscense key then it is easier and safer to try the copy.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys...I don't really have to use the 100GB as the primary and I won't....now.

I have a HP Pavilion 7955....and I do have the XP Home Edition disks....and the product code. This computer came "preloaded" with XP (with no system restore disk) but I finally convinced an HP techie to send me copies of Windows XP Home Edition. I have 7 CD's and all are marked "System Recovery WinXP Home Edition, disc 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7. But, they're HP disk's and each CD is marked with this statement "This CD contains a backup copy of all software originally installed and can ONLY be used with an HP Pavilion home PC".

So, I'm assuming these CD's are to be used to restore my computer in case the HD fails....and the restore will return the computer to the exact same state as it was when I bought it. Is that a true statement?

So, I'll install the 100GB as a spare then move my photo's and whatever (downloads, etc.) over to to it from the 40GB....leaving the system files on the 40GB. Is this what you recommend? Thanks, Tom

Comment

That's the right idea, just install the new harddrive, format it, then you can simply drag and drop your photos where you want them

Comment

Yes, that is the best way to do it. Those restore disks you have don't actually contain Windows XP, they just contain everything HP had on that PC. Your copy of XP is on a hidden partition on your harddrive that would be lost if you formatted it. You'd be best off doing it theway you plan and you will have all that extra space to enjoy.
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

And I shall do exactly as you guys recommend......thanks again. A home run site!

And thanks Casecutter....I didn't realize Windows XP wasn't included on the 7 disc's HP sent me.....rats!!

What will I do if my original 40 GB hard drive goes bad? Where will I get Windows XP to install on a new HD?

Can I move "a copy" of Windows XP over to this new 100GB HD (from the 40) for use in such a situation? If I can, is that a difficult thing to do?

Comment

Sorry Casecutter....I think you answered the question about "copying" Windows XP over to another HD in your first reply to me.....I got ahead of myself.

Since the warranty has expired on my HP....what do I do if the original HD goes south (the one with WinXP) and I need to install a new HD....where will I get Windows XP? (Hope you don't say buy it).

This is most likely a silly question, but I'm wondering what I would do.

Comment

Hard drive warranties continue with the manufacturer until they expire. Go to HP's web site and check the drive's serial number to see when its warranty expires or if it has expired.

As long as you have a legal key, you needn't worry much about a disc. If you can't find someone with a copy, you can simply download it via a number of file-sharing networks. It's not even illegal as long as the key is genuine.

Comment

I bought my HP in Oct. 2001 (5 years and 3 months ago), I doubt if the hard drive is still under warranty....but I'll check it when I install the new HD. Will "Belarc Advisor" give me that type information? I can't recall.

I notice you have Zone Alarm, do you recommend that software? Is there a free version? Thanks for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                      Hard drive warranties continue with the manufacturer until they expire. Go to HP's web site and check the drive's serial number to see when its warranty expires or if it has expired.

As long as you have a legal key, you needn't worry much about a disc. If you can't find someone with a copy, you can simply download it via a number of file-sharing networks. It's not even illegal as long as the key is genuine.
                      Yaw, I forgot to ask you where some of these "file-sharing networks" sites are that will let me download Windows XP Home Edition for free (since I have the key).

I never knew there were such sites. I'd appreciate hearing back from you on these sites.

Comment

Who said they were sites? Where do you get "site" out of "file-sharing network"?

A program such as Limewire or Shareaza will do it. The best way would probably be Bittorrent, but that's a little more complicated, particularly if you're using a router.

Comment

Sorry dude, it was a simple mistake in wording. Keep in mind, I'm a newbie to this site and the computer business.

I do appreciate your input and hope you continue to assist me.

Comment

I was just cranky. Just go to the Shareaza link I posted and you can probably figure it out from there.

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
                              Yes, that is the best way to do it. Those restore disks you have don't actually contain Windows XP, they just contain everything HP had on that PC. Your copy of XP is on a hidden partition on your harddrive that would be lost if you formatted it. You'd be best off doing it theway you plan and you will have all that extra space to enjoy.
                              Casecutter...today, Jan 17, 2006, I received a cd-rom from HP that said it was part of a Dukes/Dolan v. HP Settlement, Case No. CV-2002-270.

I'm wondering if it's a copy of windows XP.....the short memo that came with the cd refers to it as a "ValueAdd and Support CD for Windows XP Home Edition".

I hope the cd is an actual Windows XP Home Edition CD. Is there some way I can determine this?

Thought you'd like to know about this.

Comment

Working...
                              X