Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying new Hard Drive and Power Supply need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying new Hard Drive and Power Supply need help.

Looking to get a new Hardrive 80-200gig and power supply but im not sure what would be compatible for my system, looking for suggestions.
    Here's what I got...

-Core Speed: 1460MHz
    -Palomino
    Motherboard (ASUSTek)
    -Model: A7V400-MX
    -Chipset: VIA KM400
    BIOS (Phoenix Tech)
    -ACPI BIOS revision 1009
    Video Card
    -NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX4000
    -AGP 64MB
    Memory
    -2 x 256 PC3200 (200MHz)
    Harddrive
    -Quantum Fireball IDE 20GB
    PSU
    -250w (Compaq)

Thx,

Brennan
    Last edited by Brennan; 12-07-2005, 11:54 PM.

Re: Buying new Hard Drive and Power Supply need help.

Any ATA100/133 drive would be fine, I recommend an 8mb cache and 7200rpm as well. Seagate makes a great drive with a 5 year warranty.

Comment

Do you think I should get a new PS as well as the Hard Drive or will the old one do?

Comment

Replacing the PSU is prolly a good idea but if the current one works it might not be a priority. You may want to do some in depth research to be certain that Compaq has a standard PSU in that thing rather than some companys who use non standard wiring. I have an older Compaq here that I had no problems changeing the original PSU for a standard PSU when it eventually reached its limit.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I really see no point in getting a new power supply. The one you have is enough to keep the system running stable.

Comment

Thx for the help,

The only thing that is original from when I got it is the hard drive, power supply and the case.

Im not sure if this has to do with the power supply but during start up it will start reving up then it will almost shut off again, then it will actually start up.

I had to replace my old motherboard and graphics card because for some reason they got toasted so I kinda wanna play it safe and get a new one just in case it was the power supply's fault.

Comment

Working...
            X