Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build me a supercomputer (only 5-6 components) for $1800!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build me a supercomputer (only 5-6 components) for $1800!

Hi there! I'm having plans for a new computer. And I'm not really sure what to buy. Intel's P4 or AMD's 64-bit.

I'm using my computer several hours a day. Often from 10 AM to 02 AM or similar. And I want som bad ass stuff.

The P4 components I've been looking at is:

Asus - P5AD2-E PREMIUM - PCI-Express

Intel Pentium 4 550j 3,4ghz 800/1MB S775 (BTX) (what's the difference between 550 and 550j, and what does BTX mean?)

PowerColor X800XL 256MB - VIVO / 2xDVI (PCI-Express)

And that's pretty much that. I haven't been able to find any phat CPU fan that's both quiet and effective.

The AMD parts are as follows:
    I don't know! :(

That's why I'm posting this thread, because I need some help to choose if I'm going for AMD another time (I'm on an AMD XP 2000+ now) or if I'm going for Intel.
    Every friend I've been at that uses Intel's P4 - fooking fast!!! And their clockspeeds has been at 2 and 2,4Ghz mostly. I've tried a P4 3,4Ghz as well. Damn, I could save sooooooooo much time with a CPU as fast as that one! But I've been posting in ABIT's forums because I have som instability issues. And one of them recomended me to go for AMD's 64-bit CPU.

I'm using Photoshop CS, ACDSee, Outlook, FireFox, Nero, Adobe Premiere 1.5 Pro - every day. And I also play a lot of games. Mostly older ones since I want those nasty nice graphics :) (Radeon 9800 Pro from HIS). But I have HL2 and Doom 3, so it would be nice to have a CPU and board that can help me with the graphics for those - and upcoming games. I'm going for a Powercolor X800XL PCI-E card, that should be enough for at least one year I think.

Money IS an issue. With the current exchange (1SEK = 0,14USD) I'm willing to pay:

~ $360 for a motherboard
    ~ $430 for a graphics card
    ~ $430 for a CPU
    ~ $360 for RAM (rather 1Gb then 512Mb)
    ~ $200 for PSU (I'm using a Chieftech 360W PSU right now. I rather keep it for a while if I can, haha)

I already have a phat chassi, SATA HDD, DVD-burner. I could have use of a new audio card thou... If someone have any phat tip for a card that's not to expensive (let's say around $200), so hit me :)

Is there a possibility to build a kick ass computer for that amount of cash? I'm willing to pay a little more if the changes are good. For example; I'm going for a X800XL instead of a X800 since the difference just is $90. And I think those extra $90 will give me a real boost for the graphics in the long run :)

Write down your supersystem with a budget of ~ $1800!

I'll be glad to receive a comment of why your system is so supergreat, and why I should chose it instead of the opposit brand. (If you chose Intel I'll be glad to hear why I should use Intel intstead of AMD and vide versa, this is for educational use and because I really would like to know why as well :D)

(mobo, PSU, graphics card, CPU and RAM) You could go for a CPU fan as well if it's not boxed with the CPU (I want/need a quiet but effective one since I'm sleeping 2 meters from my computer...)

Thanks for any help at all! :D

Re: Build me a supercomputer (only 5-6 components) for $1800!

Originally posted by ni0wn
    Hi there! I'm having plans for a new computer. And I'm not really sure what to buy. Intel's P4 or AMD's 64-bit.

I'm using Photoshop CS, ACDSee, Outlook, FireFox, Nero, Adobe Premiere 1.5 Pro - every day. And I also play a lot of games. Mostly older ones since I want those nasty nice graphics :) (Radeon 9800 Pro from HIS). But I have HL2 and Doom 3, so it would be nice to have a CPU and board that can help me with the graphics for those - and upcoming games. I'm going for a Powercolor X800XL PCI-E card, that should be enough for at least one year I think.

Thanks for any help at all! :D
    [/size][/font]
    With the intended use you should get P4 for sure with Hyper treading you can encode video and use your computer as nothing is hapening.

With the intended use you should get P4 for sure with Hyper treading you can encode video and use your computer as if nothing is happening.

Comment

I selected a few components for you all the prices are from Newegg.com:

ASUS "P5AD2-E Premium" i925XE Chipset Motherboard For Intel LGA 775 CPU

Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 650 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache Processor w/ Hyper Threading Technology

CORSAIR VALUESELECT Kit 240-Pin 1GB(2 x 512MB) DDR2 PC2-4200, Model VS1GBKIT533D2

ASUS ATI Radeon X800 XL Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-Bit, DVI/VIVO, PCI-Express, Model "EAX800XL/2DTV/256"

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0360"

ENERMAX Noisetaker Series 600W Power Supply, ATX 12V V2.0 compatible, Support latest P4 and Athlon 64 platforms, Model "EG701AX-VE SFMA 2.0"

Total of $1,676.65 Before Tax

This P4 is already 64 bit processor like the AMD 64 and the ASUS video card is more expensive but with VIVO you will be able to capture video.

PS: get the linsneweggproducts.txt and save it as html there are the links for the products I recommended to you
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Rody; 02-24-2005, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Considering what the system is going to be used for, getting an LGA775 system wouldn't be smart. You want a socket 939 Athlon 64 system. Hyperthreading will help in Adobe Premier, but the AMD CPUs still do amazingly well in video coding and will outperform the P4s in every other application you use, especially gaming. You'll actually be CPU-limited in games if you go with a P4, which is really hard considering how GPU-dependant modern games are.

Crucial Ballistix 512MB x2 - Great for stock performance or overclocking, and it's actually cheap for the level of performance provided.
        MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum - This is the most feature-rich non-SLI (you don't need SLI for this) board out there, and it'll overclock if you need it to.
        eVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra or Sapphire X850XT or HIS x850XT PE - The last one is too expensive to justify considering IMO, but it's the best card out there, for the most part. The Radeons will both do better in Half-Life 2 and FarCry, to name a couple, but the 6800 Ultra will likely do better in future games and will do better in Doom 3. The X850XT is probably the best deal as far as price goes. If you want something cheaper than these, go for a 6800GT.
        Thermaltake 480W Butterfly PSU or Antec 550W for overclocking
        Athlon 64 3500, 3800, or 4000 - If you won't overclock, the 4000 may be worth it, though I'd say it isn't worth the increased price over the 3800. If you are willing to overclock, go for the 3500 as it will be more powerful than either the 4000 or 3800 after overclocking.

If you want even better gaming performance, I could change it to an SLI system, which will be more expensive, but I can keep it within the restraints of your budget, if just barely.
        Last edited by Yawgm0th; 02-27-2005, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for your help! :D

I don't think I need a SLI system, I'm not THAT much into gaming. I will probably hook up with 2x19" TFT @ 12ms, that way I can have Photoshop on the left monitor and Premiere in the other! :D So 2xDVI would be preferable. I think I've seen this on some card?

It's always like this - haha :)

GET INTEL!
          NO! GET AMD!

Haha :)

I read a CPU comparison test, and AMD was really awesome there, it's just that I don't know what mobo or what CPU to go with if I'm going for a AMD system. The MSI board is pretty equal to the ASUS one for P4 that I mentioned, is it not?

I checked some prices out for the AMD CPU, and they are pretty much the same. But which one is really the best for me?
          The AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2,2GHz / 640KB Socket 939 (Box) (90nm) or Intel Pentium 4 550j 3,4Ghz 800/1MB S775 (BTX) ?

Is there any difference between them? Does it really matter what I buy?

I'm going to put everything inside a Chieftech Dragon Fulltower, if that is for any use for you :) (I was thinking about space for CPU fans, airflow and such things.)

Comment

Originally posted by ni0wn
            The MSI board is pretty equal to the ASUS one for P4 that I mentioned, is it not?
            Except it's considerably cheaper (or should be), supports ATA RAID (though I doubt it'll matter), overclocks much better, and supports a vastly superior platform.

I checked some prices out for the AMD CPU, and they are pretty much the same. But which one is really the best for me?
            The AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2,2GHz / 640KB Socket 939 (Box) (90nm) or Intel Pentium 4 550j 3,4Ghz 800/1MB S775 (BTX) ?

Is there any difference between them? Does it really matter what I buy?
            [/QUOTE]
            Yes. The Athlon 64 should do better in most of your target applications. If you want to spend more money, you can get something faster (3800-FX55) which would make the advatange of getting an Athlon 64 even greater. At the higher price ranges Intel really has no equivelent for the Athlon 64s, but AMD is still better at this one.

Comment

I still think you should go with the P4 configuration I proposed, the applications you said you use everyday are where the P4 outruns the AMD processors, and the P4 is still good for gaming, you wont have any problems running any games with high fps with this 3,4Ghz processor.

If you get the fastest AMD you will have the best pc for games however your renders with premiere will take much more time because they need higher processor core speed and the P4 3,4Ghz is 1Ghz faster then the AMD FX55 or 4000+, sometimes I work with premiere with my p4 system and I can render my projects and work wit Photoshop at the same time, with the Anthlon this will be impossible because all the system will slow down when the project is rendering.
              Last edited by Rody; 03-01-2005, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Go with the Athlon64. It will be great already, then when 64bit optimized stuff starts coming out it will leave any Intel in the dust.

Comment

Originally posted by Rody
                  I still think you should go with the P4 configuration I proposed, the applications you said you use everyday are where the P4 outruns the AMD processors
                  Such as?
                  I don't see any applications he mentioned where the P4s win (the 3400 is just under the 3.4GHz P4 in Office, and the 3500 is much better), and though Hyperthreading is useful in the way you described, it's not that useful.

Comment

The most demanding softwrae he will be using is premiere, the small fps advanatge of the AMD is not enought to justify the bigger rendering times and time he wont be able to use his system wile its rendering a project, and firefox nero and outlook are not demanding the diference in performance is ridicolous for his main use the p4 will be better, and the p4 performs really well in games to I have one and I cant complain

Comment

The 64 will be better. THe P4 WILL lag behind, not to mention the lack of future upgradeability.

Comment

When I think of a "supercomputer" I dont think of something thats availible for sale and It definetly wouldnt cost 1800 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Brennan
                          When I think of a "supercomputer" I dont think of something thats availible for sale and It definetly wouldnt cost 1800 dollars.
                          If it's not available for sale, how do companies buy them?

But ya.. $1,800 is barely a workstation, if that, nevermind a Supercomputer!

Then again.. if you compare to what was available 20 years ago, what you can get for $1,800 kicks ass! ;)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2005
                            Go with the Athlon64. It will be great already, then when 64bit optimized stuff starts coming out it will leave any Intel in the dust.
                            I'm kinda sold on AMD after reading present and past post from most people on this forum, but Intel does make a 64 bit CPU and its comparable in price to the rest of the stuff in its class. Since the Intel line is newer it makes me wonder if your statement is fact.

Comment

Ok here is a system that would definately be extremely powerful.

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
                              Model #: LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR $189.00

XFX PVT70GUDF7 Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
                              Model #: PVT70GUDF7 $359.00

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition 70SB035000013 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
                              Model #: 70SB035000013 $122.00

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply - Retail
                              Model #: TPII-550 $89.99

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200XLPT - Retail
                              Model #: TWINX1024-3200XLPT $194.00

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail
                              Model #: ADA3800BVBOX $322.00

For starters, I chose a DFI board because they are just plain great. They offer excellent performance and can be easily overclocked. It is also a SLI to further your gaming experience.

A 7800GT is an excellent video card that is purely top of the line. It will offer great gaming graphics.

I actually have a Creative Audigy2 ZS Gamer. They offer excellent music quality. They also offer great gaming effects. Very cool.

An Antec power supply is very reliable and offers plenty of power. They are SLI approved for more upgrade opportunities.

I chose Corsair ram because they are fast, reliable, and can be overclocked.

The Athlon 64 X2 would be perfect for your system. I use CS2 and it bogs down my P4 2.4 A LOT even though it has 1 gig of ram. A dual core processor would let you do more stuff at the same time.

So the total amount comes to $1,255.99. With that amount of money saved, you could buy another 7800GT and put them on SLI for even better graphics.

Again, this is my opinion for a very extreme computer. I would go with an AMD system either way you go.

Comment

Working...
                              X