What do you think of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of this?

This is my first time building a computer, and after doing some long and intense research I think I figured out everything I am going to get. I am just wanting to run it buy previous computer builders, and get some insight from you guys as to what I could change, if anything, and if there are any tips that you would have for me.

First of all I will comment that the computer that I planning on building is meant mainly for gaming, with the two key games I have in mind being Half Life 2 and WOW. Also I have a semi-limited budget, nothing extremely high, but it's not like i'm totally broke. Knowing that, here are my plans:

Motherboard: MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum"

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+

RAM: 1 GB (2 x 512) CORSAIR XMS

Hard Drive: WD 160GB SATA 7200

Optical Drive: Lite-On 16X DVD Dual Drive

PSU: E-POWER "Cheetah" Series 450W

Video Card: eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800GT 256MB

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 Blue

I think my main concern when it comes to all of this, is the compatability. Based on my research, I believe all of this should be compatible together, along with being a great gaming system. I am just wanting to see what you guys think of it.

And another thing...ya I do realize that people have put on posts like this before, but I am doing it based upon my configurations, so don't be too mad.

Re: What do you think of this?

This system is very common setup for many that want proformance but dont have the money for somthing like an FX type of CPU. The system should be compatable and occationaly you get a bad peice of hardware or dont put somthing together right, But other than that the system should be compatable. MSI made a slight slip up, the colours used in the memory slots are screwed up a bit. Normaly if you plan on using Dual Channel then you use two of the same colour slots, in the case of this motherboard the two that you want to use are the two closest to the CPU socket(even though they are diffrent colours) The only real "problem" that I can see with this setup is possably the PSU, I have never dealt with E-POWER bofore so I dont know if they are any good, I usualy stick with Antec or Thermaltake... If you dont plan to overclock though, the PSU should be sufficiant.

Comment

actually in regards to the PSU...most people do suggest thermaltake and antec, but I actually looked at some reviews (multiple) on this E-Power PSU and it looks all good. If you go to their website at www.epowertec.com they have links to the reviews that people have done on their products.

Comment

I'd say change a couple things:

Get a 480W Thermaltake Butterfly or at least the E-Power 480W if you're insistant on trying E-Power. I recommend 480W as a minimum for socket 939 systems.

For a motherboard, go with an nForce 4 Ultra or SLI board so you can get PCI-E. You might as well be getting PCI-E at this point...

You'll probably be fine with just an Ultra board like that Chaintech, but if you get impatient take whatever comes back in stock.

As far as RAM goes, OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 will be the best performer at stock speeds (2nd best at overclocked), but Corsair PC4400C25 is the best RAM you'll find for overclocking, though at quite a price.

You'll also need a PCI-E 6800GT to go with the board, though you may want to settle for a regular 6800, depending on availability.
        Last edited by Yawgm0th; 01-15-2005, 10:33 AM.

Comment

The nForce4 motherboards would be a great thing to have, but there are two problems with them at the current point in time it seems.

1. They are just starting to come out with these new boards, and therefore there are still many bugs with them and few components that use the full effects of these boards. In fact the new boards are SATA II capable and yet there is no SATA II right now.

2. Even if I did decide to get one of these boards, they are very scarce and hard to find on the market, alongside some of the parts that go along with them...such as the 2 vid cards you are suggesting

based upon this i think I probably need to stick more with nForce3 rather than nForce4. Theres just too much additional expense for something that is not going to perform all that much better; although I do appreciate the suggestion. On the other hand I do believe i will go with the 480W Thermaltake Butterfly.

Comment

I'm in the process of building a compuyter forensics box at work right now and got the Thermaltake Butterfly for it. Of all power supplies I have tested so far, it has offered the most stable and non-flucuating power levels across all rails of any other model tested to date. It is a very good choice and I have yet to discover any compatibility problems.

As for the nForce4 suggestion, it is nothing more than a recommendation to keep your system future-proof. Even though the chipset is new, it has been in the works for quite some time and hasn't been seeing the normal "first-issue" stability problems. And while some versions do allow for dual video boards, it isn't required to fill both ports. Given the marketwide driver support and the fact that this is the direction of the future, it still might be a good idea to at least consider this as a possible upgrade path. Just my two cents worth.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
              I'm in the process of building a compuyter forensics box at work right now and got the Thermaltake Butterfly for it. Of all power supplies I have tested so far, it has offered the most stable and non-flucuating power levels across all rails of any other model tested to date. It is a very good choice and I have yet to discover any compatibility problems.
              Darth,
              How does the Butterfly come across as far as noise levels while it's running?

Comment

I haven't measured it with any sort of meter, but I don't here it over the case fans.
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

Its quiet unless you turn the fans all the way up, which isnt necessary..

Comment

Working...
                  X