insane rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insane rig

My cousin asked me to build him a computer and he wants it strictly for gaming. Can somone give me a list of all the best parts. He wants a real good top of the line pc. He also wants it to be pretty silent. Theres no budget at all. Give me the best parts avialable as long as it doesn't go over $10,000, which i dont think it would. He wants AMD for the processor and A radeon for gfx card

Isnt the Computer that you are building for yourself a pretty good blueprint for your cousin?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh M.
      Isnt the Computer that you are building for yourself a pretty good blueprint for your cousin?
      no cuz thats for my budget and I know theres better processors out and better everythi8ng just about. So can someone just give me a list with everything from the mouse to the processor, ram, hd etc.

Comment

Maybe I will grab links later, but at a budget of under $10000, you can basically build a server and use it for gaming. We're talking dual Opterons; 4-16GB of PC3500 RAM; Radeon X800 XT; 600W PSU; nice, expensive HSF; lots of fans; SCSI/RAID controller and dual 15000 RPM SCSI drives (for RAID, make 'em big, too); dual Opteron motherboard (duh, can't have dual Opterons without) with gigabit ethernet onboard; expensive PCI sound card; surround sound, 22" CRT monitor, nice and powerful, too; maybe some other cooling accessories (HDD cooler, thermal compound, lots of fans. You could get all that for under $10000. I honestly think it's a waste fo money, though. For that much money, you could build three system that would be about 80-90% as powerful in games. But if he only want one system and has that much money, what I just laid out would be geat.

On the other hand, getting an Athlon 64 FX, dual 74GB WD Raptors (for RAID); a motherboard with onbaord Gigabit, IDE/RAID, SATA/RAID, Firewire, and dual-channel RAM support; 2GB of CAS 2 PC3500 RAM (ECC) Radeon X800 XT, lots of cooling, blah, blah, blah... (most of the remaining stuff I said with the other one)
        That would be less than half as much as the "gaming server," but be 80-90% as powerful in games. It would be a hell of a lot slower outside of games, but I doubt he would be complaining.

Comment

The server thing sounds cool. Maybe he would like that. Could you just give me links to ll the parts for both rigs and I'll ask hima bout it.

Comment

it sounds cool but i agree that it would probably be a waste of money. an athlon64 fx or P4EE would be alot cheaper an not much slower. it probably wouldnt even be that noticable a diffference.

Comment

can somneone give me links to a top of the line rig. Not a server though

Comment

if money isnt an object then just tell him to buy an alienware......they usually can build the best gaming computers. If you do build it stick in phase change cooling and oc that beast....that would be some awesome benchmarks

Comment

Originally posted by Legolas371
                  if money isnt an object then just tell him to buy an alienware......they usually can build the best gaming computers. If you do build it stick in phase change cooling and oc that beast....that would be some awesome benchmarks
                  Alienware sucks

Comment

Exactly. You can build a much better system for much less.

The "server" was just what you would do to build the most powerful thing possible with that money. It's not really a server; it just uses parts so powerful that normally only servers use them.
                    But as I said, an Athlon 64 FX system would bemuch cheaper, but not much worse.

For links, check out my post in this thread:

You would want an X800 XT instead of a 9800XT, though. Other than that, the rest of the stuff there should be pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th

You would want an X800 XT instead of a 9800XT, though. Other than that, the rest of the stuff there should be pretty good.
                      Or an FX6800. Also, I think you should go with the AthlonFX, as it will probably be more powerful in games than the Dual CPU setup. Look around, Dual CPU's don't help any in the gaming department

Comment

An Athlon64 FX won't be more powerful than dual CPUs of the exact same speed/cache/FSB... Dual Opterons won't really give you a huge performance increase in games, but they certainly won't hurt.

But yeah, the dual-Opteron is just there for the hell of it. Not at all practical.

Comment

all i can say is what a waste of money. why not by a car for crying out loud. you should look on ebay, i have seen some pretty high priced one on there. some more than 10 thousand.
                          amd 4200 x2
                          2gb ocz gold pc4000
                          dfi utlpl nf4 sli-d
                          antec sp500
                          bfg7800gtx
                          zalman cpu cooler

Comment

With a Dual-Opteron/SCSI/whole bunch of GB or RAM setup you could run a friggin business. It's not a waste of money. In fact, it's a much better investment than a car if you use it for a busineess or something like that. It is a waste of money for gaming, though. 5-20% performance increase with a five-fold to ten-fold price increase....

Comment

Kool Drew wrote:

"My cousin asked me to build him a computer and he wants it strictly for gaming"

strictly for gaming it is a waste of money, which he stated, it is strictly for gaming. but as you say, if it was for a business you are right, i agree it would not be a waste of money and in the long run would be a profitable asset to a company.
                              amd 4200 x2
                              2gb ocz gold pc4000
                              dfi utlpl nf4 sli-d
                              antec sp500
                              bfg7800gtx
                              zalman cpu cooler

Comment

Working...
                              X