Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which P4 processor should I buy, 2.4c or 2.8c?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which P4 processor should I buy, 2.4c or 2.8c?

or

Someone said the 2.4c is better, but I don't know..
    I'll be overclocking, and the price differnece between the two is nominal.

If it matters, i'll be using a Chaintech 9CJS mobo, found here:

Any help from someone KNOWLEDGEABLE will be appreciated.

** Thread renamed and moved by weta **
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

I've heard tell that some of the 2.4Ghz are yielding excellent results when overclocked.

But, that depends on the luck of the draw, doesn't it?
    (and of course, all those other factors that come into play when overclocking)
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

check out those two procs, will i need to install any heatsinks or thermal goop stuff? I'm building my first rig so i'm new.

putting in the proc isn't too hard, is it? Just snap it in there? Or do I have to deal with some other stuff?
      Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Comment

You'll have to install thermal compound and a heatsink/fan of course, and as long as your mobo supports it, theres nothing to changing our CPU, quite simple task.

Comment

2.8c's really dont over clock well as they're close to their performance ceiling. A 2.4c you can really crank up to a faster FSB because it has more head room. Example: 2.4 overclocked to a 3.0GHz runs at 250MHz x 12, and the FSB is 250x4, or 1000Mhz. A 2.8c @ 3.0GHz runs at 214MHz x 14, and its FSB is only 214x4, or 856Mhz. See the performance difference? If you wanted to crank a 2.8c to 250MHz then it'd run at 250x14 which is 3.5Ghz and you'd need at least water cooling to handle that everyday. Also, make sure you do alot of reading before attempting any of this, and ask questions when necessary. Good luck with your new rig and o/cing, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Mista k6, you're my (savior??)

I was just about to make one other post in desperation becaseu the new egg x-mas sale ends today. Thanks a ton. See, what I'll be doing with my comp is getting top of the line everything but proc/vid card, i'm getting the budget gefroce fx and now the 2.4c. Once ATI's/nVidias new line of cards hits this spring, and once prescot gets here, I'll prolly upgrade, or at least I'll upgrade the proc. Also, probably get watercooling.

Thanks again.:kay: :kay: :kay:

Comment

Actually, that proc will probably keep you blasting away for awhile. Look into upgrading your vid card before then, to say, a 9600Pro or XT. Then you'll have one kick as comp :thumb: . Glad I could help, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

2.4 on air
                2.6 on water
                2.8 on phase change

These yield the best FSB / DDR ratios because of their multiplier.

Comment

Working...
                X