new sys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new sys

i was going to buy the new amd64 but i don't have $1000 bucks. then i decided on a 2800+ because of the cache and i heard barton core is better. i was also goin to buy the msi k7n2g-l mobo b/c of the nforce chipsets. i play a lot of games. was wondering about a v-card too. better with ati or nvidia? would appreciate all help.

Well if your wondering about a video card, mention it in the title. Sorry if Im coming across as rude, but many are using thoughtless irrelevant titles.

Anyway,

Low range video:
    ATI Radeon 9100 or nVidia GF4 MX440
    -Personally I'd use the Radeon

Mid-range:
    ATI Radeon 9600XT or nVidia FX5700Ultra
    -I'd do with the FX5700U there

High range:
    ATI Radeon 9800XT or nVidia FX5950Ultra
    -Id go with the 9800xt here

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt.Crappy
      i was going to buy the new amd64 but i don't have 00 bucks. then i decided on a 2800+ because of the cache and i heard barton core is better. i was also goin to buy the msi k7n2g-l mobo b/c of the nforce chipsets. i play a lot of games. was wondering about a v-card too. better with ati or nvidia? would appreciate all help.
      Whoa dude, did you just say a Barton is better than an A64? The Bartons couldn't even keep up with Intel! I suggest you go to whoever told you that, and give them a nice slap in the face for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
        Whoa dude, did you just say a Barton is better than an A64? The Bartons couldn't even keep up with Intel! I suggest you go to whoever told you that, and give them a nice slap in the face for me.
        :rolleyes2 I think he was referring to the Barton core of the Athlon XP line

Comment

i was going to buy the new amd64 but i don't have 00 bucks. then i decided on a 2800+ because of the cache and i heard barton core is better.
          I don't see how since he never even mentioned the letters "XP", but whatever floats your boat.

Comment

Man, you guys need to slow down, he just wants some info. Yes, Cpt. Crappy, the Barton core is the best of the XP line, a good performer for the price too: the 2800+ is a nice chip. Right now, the Radeon 9600 is the best card out there for the mid-range markey, period. In all the reviews I've seen its beaten the 5700 and the 5600. I think it would be better to get a 9600Pro, as the extra $ for the XT version doesnt seem justified to me. A Radeon 9600 Pro bulk card from Sapphire is $150usd, very good price for such a great card at 400/600 clock speeds. The XT is about $220usd, and offers a 500/600 clock speed, but it's $70usd more. Also, you can take the Pro and overclock it to those speeds, easily. The 9600Pro should suit your system nicely, good luck with it :thumb:. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Cpt.Crappy you said that you were gonna get the msi k7n2g-l and a vid card. dont get the k7n2g as it has onboard video, if you want an msi get the k7n2 delta ILSR which is the board i have or get the k7n2-l which is the same board as you mentioned only without the onboard video

Comment

Originally posted by Mista K6
                I think it would be better to get a 9600Pro, as the extra $ for the XT version doesnt seem justified to me.
                You DO get a free copy of HL 2.......*If it ever comes out*

Comment

And the GPU clocks an extra 75-100mhz higher than the Pro. I think the XT is definetely worth the extra $50 since it comes with a coupon for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                    And the GPU clocks an extra 75-100mhz higher than the Pro. I think the XT is definetely worth the extra since it comes with a coupon for the game.
                    Precisely my thoughts ;)

Comment

metallicat why would i not want onboard video? im not goin to use it, obviously, but the board is cheaper bc it has no 400mhz fsb. and i cant use it b/c the 2800+ doesn't support 400 mhz fsb. is there any other diff i'm missing? although i think i will go ahead and buy the delta, thanks to your advice. i don't have a lot of money to spend, but if it helps it run faster well i'll do it. thanks for your advice, if you have any more pointers, please let me know. thank you

Comment

Cpt.Crappy, I'm going to assume that^ post was supposed to be here and you clicked 'new thread' on accident...

Comment

Cpt.Crappy i recommended not to get the onboard video because wherei live it costs more to get the integrated graphics and it would have been a waste of money as you werent planning on using it

Comment

oh ok thanks

Comment

metallicat why would i not want onboard video? im not goin to use it, obviously, but the board is cheaper bc it has no 400mhz fsb. and i cant use it b/c the 2800+ doesn't support 400 mhz fsb.
                              In actual fact it's very easy to get the XP2800+ to run as a 400MHz unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X