New low to midrange gaming computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New low to midrange gaming computer

I am building a low to midrange computer for my friend. Just a few weeks before I made a computer for myself with a $500(american) budget with the following:

A7n8x Deluxe
    Raidmax 268WBP case
    2500+ barton retail
    256mb ddr400 giel memory
    80gb western digital hd
    samsung 52x24x52 with dvd 16x
    ati radeon 9000 128mb (with leftover money)

It has done well for me, but this time I have 600 dollars and would like to know what I should change and add, bearing in mind there is some leeway in going overboard. The first thing I was thinking about changing was adding more memory and getting a higher clocked athlon cpu. What do you think?

Okay, this is what Id get.

Epox ep-8rda+
    Athlon XP 2500+ Barton cooled by a ThermalTake SilentBoost
    (2) 256mb PC3200 Buffalo Technologies which makes a total of 512mb
    80GB West. Deg. SE 8mb cache drive
    Lite-On CD-RW DVD-ROM combo drive
    ATI Radeon 9500 or a Geforce 4 ti4200

A case and PSU of your choice.
    Also, I can hook ya up with some awesome priced RAM. like $100 for what I mentioned above.

Comment

what about a CD-RW?

welp u beat me to it...

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
        Okay, this is what Id get.

Epox ep-8rda+
        Athlon XP 2500+ Barton cooled by a ThermalTake SilentBoost
        (2) 256mb PC3200 Buffalo Technologies
        80GB West. Deg. SE 8mb cache drive
        Lite-On CD-RW DVD-ROM combo drive
        ATI Radeon 9500 or a Geforce 4 ti4200

A case and PSU of your choice.
        Also, I can hook ya up with some awesome priced RAM. like 0 for what I mentioned above.
        Coindood the epox works just as good as the Asus but with less on the price tag.
        Save yourself the money on the retail and get a OEM (non retail) 2500+ Barton and use the cash you save not buying retail's fan and use it on a better cooler.
        the Western Digital S.Edition is not that much more when it comes to the 80GB version.
        Go with 512mb ...256 just doesn't cut it with XP or 2000, plus with two exact sticks of memory you can take advantage of nforce's dual channel feature.
        I would go with the 9500 from ATI...
        Look around tho...but never forget to take a look at newegg.com they have great prices as well as great service.
        I personally have no use for a DVD...a year go i went crazy with my rig bought everything...now i don't use it...I gave it away and just have a burner; thats all preference tho.

As for the case get what you want of course but i suggest to get something with intake vents as well as exhaust so your buddy can keep his rig cool. Get a psu of 350 Watts or higher.

Have fun! and good luck...
        - Damien

Comment

I have to agree with Flaco u definetyl need 512 minimum for an xp system let alone a system designed for games:thumb: and 9500 is a definet but 9600 is more probable as the 9500 has been discontinued:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by FLaCo
            Coindood the epox works just as good as the Asus but with less on the price tag.
            Save yourself the money on the retail and get a OEM (non retail) 2500+ Barton and use the cash you save not buying retail's fan and use it on a better cooler.
            the Western Digital S.Edition is not that much more when it comes to the 80GB version.
            Go with 512mb ...256 just doesn't cut it with XP or 2000, plus with two exact sticks of memory you can take advantage of nforce's dual channel feature.
            I would go with the 9500 from ATI...
            Look around tho...but never forget to take a look at newegg.com they have great prices as well as great service.
            I personally have no use for a DVD...a year go i went crazy with my rig bought everything...now i don't use it...I gave it away and just have a burner; thats all preference tho.

As for the case get what you want of course but i suggest to get something with intake vents as well as exhaust so your buddy can keep his rig cool. Get a psu of 350 Watts or higher.

Have fun! and good luck...
            you took the words right out of my mouth

except I would recomend leaving the 2500 and overclocking it and getting a ti4200 instread of one of a 9600(or below)

Comment

Working...
            X