Quick Question From a Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question From a Newbie

I am either going to customize a computer built by CyberPower or something similar to it but I thought about it again and I'm leaning towards waiting until the summer to customize it because I can save more money by then and I've also been hearing some things around about an Athlon 64?? Well, new processors and stuff are supposed to be coming out right? I have a Compaq 7360 model desktop right now. A AMD K-6 processor, 500 mhz, and this PC will be my testing PC, where I get to *uck it up if I need to.. Now, the computer I'm using thats at least decent right now is laptop, a Sony Vaio FX 370. 1 Ghz, upgraded to 512 mb of RAM and yeah, so my comps suck and my question basically is whether i should customize something from CyberPower or a site similar or do I wait until summer for what I think I've been hearing, new processors or something? Some help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

wait until summer, the new875P will come out for Intel, just incase you decide you want some real power (no offense AMD but you and me known AMD is lacking right now) a.k.a. "Canterwood" you can read some reviews about this right at tweaktown:

but for as much as that the new nVIDIA gfx card should come out (NV35 or NV40, correct me if im wrong) but the last nVIDIA card was a paper-launch, huge hype for a minimal product (its fast but the cooling/noise/size) Also Intel has Prescott coming which is .09 micron instead of the P4 of today which is .13 and after that Tejas comes. Tejas is "supposidly" going to get-rid of using pins and use a brand new clamping system with a 1066 FSB. I guess this will happen in 2 years maybe by next december

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I've seen the Canterwood and have heard there was some kind of problem with it? Although, I like AMD's prices up to the XP 2500, it does lack the speed. Also, when it talks about Intel's FSB speed and AMD's FSB speed, there is a major difference, is this because Intel can get away with marketing at a higher number or is that number exactly what it says? Lastly, I almost positive I'm waiting for new products since I don't want to have a system in the summer that'll feel old after just a couple of months, so when does this Prescott and new video card come out? Once again, thanks helping that less than fly in computers guy. ;)

Comment

ok FSB depends, see im not to good with AMD but i know that the multiplier can be unlocked, so a fsb of 133 * 13 = 1729 mhz (and i dont know about Performance Ratings so bear with me) but you can increase the multiplier, so 133 * 14 = 1862 and the FSB can also be increased 140 * 14 = 1960, please any peoople who are GOOD with amd please correct me..but Intel locked their multiplier, like i know mine is 20 so my fsb = 140 so 20 * 140 = 2.8 ghz...im running the 2.66 model. Me about waiting to buy stuff, i recently purchased a 2.66 proc. and i have a 2.0 spare just lying around i have enough for 2 comps, but only 1 HDD :P hehe. So imma try to get a summer job and then save up and see from there b/c AMD should be able to pull out, but i need money :cry: just my :2cents:

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
          kareemrush21[/size]]
          I've also been hearing some things around about an Athlon 64??
          These should be out in September.

Comment

are they like barton +1 or just a fine tuned barton chip?

Comment

When the Athlon64 comes out the Bartons will take over the Duron's role as a budget CPU.

Comment

isnt then athlon64 aka clawhammer? How muxh do yuou think itll cost to build system with ine if those wiggo? I really wanna do it when they come out.

Comment

Yes the Athlon64's development name is Clawhammer but as to the cost invovled I couldn't say atm.

Comment

wow, a barton as a budget chip, Intel better hope that their 800 FSB will save thier asses

Comment

It will be expensive though...
                      SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Doesn't the Athlon64 have an 800Mhz FSB ?
                        SPAM Special Ops

Comment

I would not know
                          --t00|b0x

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                            E^vol[/size]]
                            Doesn't the Athlon64 have an 800Mhz FSB ?
                            That's what's reported so far but here are 2 links that will explain a few things about the "Hammer" Family. ;)

With over 10170 full-service stores, our New Factory Ice Cream Filling Biscuit Sandwiching Machine with Biscuit Wrapper inventory is extensive and our parts are priced right. within 24 Shandong Leader Machinery hours. This helps you maximize your productivity by 86 mm outer ring width: saving time and your hard-earned dollars.

The CPU is probably the most important part of a gaming PC. This makes finding the best CPU for gaming a vital task when you’re building a PC. However, there are a lot of choices out there though.

Comment

Ok kareemrush21 try this for size.

Alloy Silver TurboGamer SX1040 Case 420w PSU = $99
                              Atlon XP 2600+ = $169
                              MSI K7N2- L nForce2 mobo = $82
                              512MB Corsair XMS3200 = $137
                              AMD cert. HSF + 3 extra case fans = $9
                              WD JB800 HDD = $125
                              Radeon 9500Pro 128MB = $185
                              16x DVD = $35
                              Z640 speakers = $75
                              Floppy = $10
                              Total = $967

That should give ya something that can be easily worked with and from Cyberpower.

Comment

Working...
                              X