Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [size=6
    Beefy[/size]]
    Maybe someone around here should write an article on RAID setups...

*looks around*

Anyone?

Gee havn't ya done that yet? :D

==============================================

Session Start (MSN - Wiggo (B):Beefy): Thu Aug 08 13:50:07 2002
    Beefy: someone on TT should write a guide to RAID.... instead of explaining it each and every time.. :)
    Wiggo (B): good to see that ya volunteered;)
    Session Close (Beefy): Thu Aug 08 13:55:50 2002

==============================================

<center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Well currently I have windows xp professional installed on a 41gb hard drive. You need 2 to acheive raid. So there for in a software raid I would need three drives? One for the OS and two for the raid?

Comment

As far as I know, yeah.

Comment

Yes for a software RAID you will as the os can't be raided in that fashion. :(
          You'd be much better off with a proper RAID controller fitted. ;)

Comment

ok.......I"m getting myself a raid controller card I'm not about to spend money on a new mobo. Especially when I ahve so much growth ahead of me with this current one. I'll have an IBM 41Gig and a WD 40Gig drive hooked up to it. I found a controller card but in the description it says something about supporting up to ATA 33. What's up with that? Tell me if this is what I want or not.

http://www.microtechcomputers.com/pr...p?Sku=IO3W5200

Comment

Yes make the most of it as the Athlon(socketA) will replace the Duron very soon when "Clawhammer" arrives most likely and alot only expect a few years left in socket A. ;)

Comment

um well..........is that the card I need or not? lol It says something about 33Mhz. What was that about?

Comment

Well I figure that next year about this time I'll be thinking of a "Clawhammer" setup as by that time any teething probs will be worked out. ;)
                  Hopefully a few ppl may want me to build few of them. :D

Comment

Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
                    um well..........is that the card I need or not? lol It says something about 33Mhz. What was that about?
                    :) That's almost what you want. You were right though, it only supports up to ATA33. Mainly because it's an older card. There should be plenty more out there. A couple good names to look for are Promise and Highpoint.

Comment

I think I've heard of promise.....in fact I have most definitly heard of promise. Can you give me an estimated price range though?

Comment

I got no idea. From a very rough guess, you shouldn't need to spend any more than $100 US (a VERY rough guess there...)

EDIT: Don't know if this will help, but try here: http://tweaktown.pricegrabber.com/se...=27&Search.y=7

Comment

I was looking around and I found some Promis cards for around $80 US and they had some lower cost ones for around $45. I will make a link to the page I was looking at and it has link to the stores, its a bit long but you should be able to find something out of the lot.

Comment

MY GOD........that's alot of money there!!!!!I was thinking maybe more in the range of 30-40. heh I'll look into it though.

Comment

Unless you really need / want a RAID setup, I'd hold off for a while. With so many things just around the corner, it could be worthwhile waiting a little bit and seeing what happens then.

Comment

Whats the difference between the differnt type of RAID like I have heard every 1 talk about RAID 0 but what about the other ones like 1 and 0+1? Are these faster than RAID 0?

Comment

Working...
                                X