Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDE drive not reconised

Hello everyone,
    I have just installed a 40GB IBM deskstar hdd into my computer. I hooked up all IDE cables and have plugged in the power for the drive. The problem is, windows does not see the drive. I have the xp installation on my current 250GB SATA drive. Anybody know why windows wont see the drive? I went into device manager and see no sign of the drive, just my current one.

Re: IDE drive not reconised

Could be a couple of reasons, but the most likely is that you did not set the jumper on the drive properly. Since your primary drive is SATA, you will want to set the IBM as a Master or Cable Select, depending on the mainboard. If cable select and it is the only drive on that IDE channel, make sure to plug the drive into the last port on the IDE ribbon cable.

Alternatively, the drive could be dead. Check it on another system if necessary. After all, those drives weren't called "DeathStar" for nothing!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Thanks for the info Darth. I had the drive plugged in on the Last plug on the IDE cable and Messed with the jumpers. The thing I dont understand is on the front of the drive it tells you where the jumpers go, It has two diffrent lines of combinations, one for 15 heads and one for 16. I tried all of them and still the bios does not see my drive. I tried my old 30GB drive and still did not see it. I'm not messing with it anymore, I was hoping to have a dual boot system with vista RC2 till whenever it expires in March. In the meantime I cleaned up my cable routing:)

Comment

Hi! I suspect it needs the drivers for the IDE supplied with the motherboard. It usually is the case with Abit SATA motherboards!
        Good luck!

Comment

Those drivers are installed by default when installing the chipset drivers. If the optical drives are working properly, they have been installed.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Yes I have all drivers installed, it has something to do with the jumpers but I already tried all the diffrent combinations to no conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by TRIGGER View Post
              I tried my old 30GB drive and still did not see it
              If i tried two different drives and couldn't see either, then I begin to suspect the cable.
              As mentioned earlier, have you tried the drive in another computer?

Comment

Yep, it turned out to be the cable, or the type of jumper I was using. I had used a jumper with a flat closed top. Is there diffrent types of jumpers. I think it was the cable though. Thanks for your help guys. P.S How can I get vista to dual boot with one IDE drive(Vista) and a SATA drive(WinXP)?

Comment

Set the SATA drive as the boot device. Install XP. Install Vista.

Comment

Working...
                  X