Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard drive disappears.......

ok friends, answer me this???

why is it that after i formatted and partitioned my new drive (120g) with a 40g and an 80 g, it shows all is well if i boot from my old drive into windows, but if i boot from the new drive, the 80g does not show up?
    example: boot into windows from 20 g old drive and windows says i have:
    c:\=20g
    d:\=40g
    e:\=80g
    f:\=compact disc
    but if i switch the drives around in the bios boot sequence, i get this:
    c:\=40g
    d:\=20g
    e:\=compact disc

i'm obviously doing something wrong here, just can't put a finger on it.
    p.s. drives are physically hooked up as in my signature.

thanks a million for your ideas (in advance)

Just to clear up some confusion, exactly how is\are your OS installed? Do you have multiple installs on multiple partitions? If so, why (sigs say one OS, no point in two installs)? Even though I don't really have much info on your situation, I guess you formatted a drive and the OS just didn't recognize. The 9x OSs seem to have the problem of not recognizing drives you format outside of them (assuming you didn't format from inside Windows). Although that only happens sometimes so it might be something totally different. In any case, explain your OS situation becasue it sounds as if you're booting from different drives which doesn't make sense if you have one OS (and one install of it, again dual-booting ME just doesn't seem normal). And one somewhat unrelated thought: Unless you have a really good reason, don't use ME. 98\98SE are much better IMO and in the opinions of many TT members.:2cents:

Comment

ok, here goes,
      i ghosted my old drive and all files including the win ME o.s. to the new drive.(i will delete the o.s. from the old drive as soon as the new one is working the way i want it to.) both drives will boot, but if i change the old drive back to be the boot drive, then all drives, real and virtual, show up fine. but i want the new, faster drive to be the boot drive. when i set it up as such, then the second partition on that new drive disappears. as shown in the above post., hope that clears things up a bit, thanks for helping........brian

Comment

hello out there, anyone have any ideas??

Comment

When I ghost a drive like that, I shut down the pc, and remove the old drive completely. Put the ghosted drive on ide1 and fix the jumpers. I have found some drives want a different jumper setting when they are the master as opposed to a single drive. Often no jumper at all for a single drive. Should be listed right on the drive.

Try that out. I never switch boot order via the bios, always by swapping the master/slave settings. Not saying you can't do that, I just would never would. Especially if you now are trying to boot off the secondary ide.

Comment

Did you put ME on 2nd drive's 1st partition and then format the second drive? That could be the problem. If you have a CD for ME or 98 (preferably 98) you should just backup anything you absolutely need and reformat, setting the new drive as master and putting the OS on it. Then create the 2nd partion and format the 2nd drive. The CD-drive will probably be in front of the other partions in letters (D: while they're E: and F: ), but I can give you a link to fix that if it bothers you.

Edit: Actually you probably shouldn't use the older drive. If I'm not mistaken, it will cause the drive on the same channel to run at the same speed. If they're on different channels it shouldn't be a problem, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th

Edit: Actually you probably shouldn't use the older drive. If I'm not mistaken, it will cause the drive on the same channel to run at the same speed. If they're on different channels it shouldn't be a problem, though.
              Exactly ;)

:cheers:

Comment

ok, thanks for the input, i'll give it a try maybe later to day or tomorrow, thanks to all

Comment

Working...
                X