WD HDD Troubles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD HDD Troubles.

I just ran PCMark2002 and my cpu scored like 4400 and my memory scored like 3100 but my HDD which by my sig is a Western Digital 40gb 7200rpm 8mb cache only got like 110. What gives?

Are you using an 80conductor cable?

Comment

Yeah, it came with the mobo I bought when I was building my pc. It should be at least, I could check it again, but I remember running the same test when I first built the system remember the score being much higher. I will run the test on my other computer, as the hdd is the same, if not very similar.

Comment

Try to Defrag

Comment

I reformatted the whole drive not a week ago. I think there's just something wrong, but I don't know how to find out what. I even did the diagnostic test available from the WD site, and it found no errors.

Comment

Make sure your IDE cable is plugged in good.

Also, check to be sure your drive is running in UDMA5 By going to Control>Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, Then IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, Right click Primary IDE channel, properties, Advanced.

Comment

Just checked it, Device 0, which should be the hdd is "DMA if available," and set at PlO, which isn't right I assume. I remember when I was using the WD Diagnostic tool there was a way I could turn the Ultra DMA on/off. I think maybe in trying to make sure if was in Ultra DMA I might've turned it off.

Comment

set it to DMA if availabe.....being in PIO mode is killing you

Comment

According to the diagnostic I just ran, again, it's running in Ultra DMA 100, but the OS isn't recognizing it as that. It is set for "DMA if available though" so I don't know why it's reading it that way.

Comment

Try removing the Primary IDe controller from Device manager and rebooting,

Comment

All right, that did it guys, thanks a lot. :thumb:

Comment

Glad that worked for ya m8! :thumb:

Comment

I could not have searched for a more perfect thread.

Mirrored all my problems, and prescribed the same fix that cured them.

Right on!

This happened to my WD after I dropped a slave from the config. I wonder if it was the same impetus in this case?

Comment

You should stick around, most of our threads are like this !

Comment

Working...
                            X