CPU Gone Bad???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Gone Bad???

I have an AMD FX-8150 that seems to have a problem. I've tried it in two boards an ASUS Crosshair V Formula and an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX and I'm getting random BSOD's on both boards. I've used the same memory DDR3 1600 (Corsair Vengeance) and a MSI 7970 video card along with an HT Omega Striker sound card. I've used the same set of drives a Samsung 256GB 830 series SSD a 2TB Black Western Digital HD and my optical drive is LG Blu-ray drive. My PSU is a 750 W Corsair modular PSU (brand new) and I even tried a 950 W PC Power & Cooling PSU. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit version installed on the SSD drive. I'm also using a NZXT Phantom case plus a NZXT HAVIK-140 CPU Cooler w. Dual 140mm Fans for cooling. I've tried just about everything one can do to try and isolate the problem by that I mean I've moved the RAM to different slots, used different speeds i.e. 1333, 1600, and 1866 but still getting many BSOD's even when sitting idle. Reseated the motherboards in the case and double checking the standoffs and screws to make sure they weren't some of my problem. Also all drivers are current.

I was thinking that I'd try the CPU on an AsRock Fatality 990FX board that I won at a local computer show. If it gives me nothing but BSOD screens that my problem is the processor. My question is am I on the right track or what else can I check that I haven't done already?

I have another 8150 running on a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 board and it's working fine with 16GB of DDR3 1866 memory. Other than the motherboard the second system is nearly identical except the case is an NZXT Switch 810 and the PSU is an 850W Pro Gold series Corsair modular PSU.

Re: CPU Gone Bad???

i think thats all you can do,test it in the gigabyte board you won,if it shows same bsod's id look at rma'ing the cpu,then when you get a replacement chip atleast youll know where you stand,if god forbid the bsod's continue you know its another component or a bios/compatibility issue
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelzup View Post
      I have an AMD FX-8150 that seems to have a problem. I've tried it in two boards an ASUS Crosshair V Formula and an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX and I'm getting random BSOD's on both boards. I've used the same memory DDR3 1600 (Corsair Vengeance) and a MSI 7970 video card along with an HT Omega Striker sound card. I've used the same set of drives a Samsung 256GB 830 series SSD a 2TB Black Western Digital HD and my optical drive is LG Blu-ray drive. My PSU is a 750 W Corsair modular PSU (brand new) and I even tried a 950 W PC Power & Cooling PSU. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit version installed on the SSD drive. I'm also using a NZXT Phantom case plus a NZXT HAVIK-140 CPU Cooler w. Dual 140mm Fans for cooling. I've tried just about everything one can do to try and isolate the problem by that I mean I've moved the RAM to different slots, used different speeds i.e. 1333, 1600, and 1866 but still getting many BSOD's even when sitting idle. Reseated the motherboards in the case and double checking the standoffs and screws to make sure they weren't some of my problem. Also all drivers are current.

I was thinking that I'd try the CPU on an AsRock Fatality 990FX board that I won at a local computer show. If it gives me nothing but BSOD screens that my problem is the processor. My question is am I on the right track or what else can I check that I haven't done already?

I have another 8150 running on a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 board and it's working fine with 16GB of DDR3 1866 memory. Other than the motherboard the second system is nearly identical except the case is an NZXT Switch 810 and the PSU is an 850W Pro Gold series Corsair modular PSU.
      I just recently had the same problem with a Z68 build bluescreening constantly. It turned out to be one of the Vengeance 1600 DIMMs (using 2 x 4GB). I determined this by removing one of the modules and booting with just one (I got lucky the first try and picked the right one). The system ran perfect on one DIMM and continues to run perfect even after I RMA'd the bad one & re-installed the new one Corsair sent me. In your case (4 DIMMs) you'd have to swap them out one by one and test the system until you found one that won't boot or is bluescreening. Also make sure RAM & CPU are well seated. Make sure no pins are bent or broken on the CPU. It's rare (but not unheard of) for a CPU to go bad unless doing extreme overclocking or other risky scenarios.
      Last edited by hood6558; 07-04-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I tried every stick of RAM I own and it continues to freeze and gives me the dreaded BSOD. I went and got the AsRock board and everything worked right off the bat. I got my software all reinstalled without any trouble. Downloaded all the updates for Windows 7 and the rest of my software without any problems. Not one single BSOD until I was downloading Chrome when it gave me another BSOD only this time it won't even make it to the desktop but I can get into safe mode. When I come out of that it will go to the desktop but it freezes and then the BSOD comes up.

One thing I did notice when I was building the system was installing the cooler a Havik 140. The final retention clip gave me fits getting it on and I put what seemed like a ton of downward pressure on it to get the spring compressed enough for the screw to catch. Is it possible that the CPU was damaged somehow?

Comment

more likely the board would bend or flex and damage the tiny copper pcb traces inside,

could still be a bios setting not right,loadline calibration level too low or dram voltage not right,even at stock/auto settings sometimes you have to tweak things to get things stable

i have no idea with amd systems though but mostly dram and cpu northbridge voltages,add one or two clicks more on each,but id google around and see how and what to adjust
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

A friend had an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX board that he knew worked so he let me try it. I only had one stick of RAM the video card and the SSD drive that has my OS on and we started it out of the box style and we cleared the CMOS on it before starting it up. It went to the post screen and before we could do anything it gave us a BSOD right away. We moved the RAM to each DIMM slot and it did the same thing. I had a 950W PC Power & Cooling PSU in my closet so we tried it on the off chance that the 750W Corsair PSU was the issue but even with it we got the BSOD right at post. I didn't have another processor to try and neither did my friend so we weren't able to try a different CPU. I bit the bullet and ordered another CPU only this time I just got an AMD 4 core FX-4170 which had $10.00 bucks off making it $129. If it does the trick I'll RMA the 8150 and go from there. I would love to try the new Intel chips but my budget won't allow for that right now. Have to wait until later this year when I get my bonus from work.

Comment

seemslike cpu issue then,you can pick up a cheap used intel 2500k cpu
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
              X