Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opteron 144

Re: Opteron 144

Yes, it is very true. I have a friend with a Opteron 148 and it goes to 2.8GHz on stock voltage and he has seen 3.0GHz on air @ 1.65v. They are phenominal chips. THe only problem is that AMD did not intent them to end up in desktops and have ceased production. If you really want one, it is a good idea to get one soon. Otherwise, you will only be able to get used ones in the near future.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Opterons, being server chips, have to go through more rigorous requirements. This results in some major overclockability, but as Casecutter said you won't be able to get them very easily for much longer so get one now if you're going to.

Comment

thanks guys.

Comment

bollocks! theyre getting sold out everywhere.

some random company i paid is now sold out, and im trying to cancel the order, dispite the vague assurance thy are getting more stock in february

Comment

Well, Mine deals with the Opteron 165 so I didn't want to make another new thread to add to the mess.
            I'm going to get the 165, but if I can get buy with OEM I would like to. Who knows what the stock heatsink/fan for the Opteron series is? Are they the same as the Athlon 64's? I'd rather just switch it over and save $20 on a hsf I don't need.

EDIT: I went with the retail version just for the 3 year warranty. Accidents happen :-)
            Last edited by eat@joes; 01-25-2006, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eat@joes
              Well, Mine deals with the Opteron 165 so I didn't want to make another new thread to add to the mess.
              I'm going to get the 165, but if I can get buy with OEM I would like to. Who knows what the stock heatsink/fan for the Opteron series is? Are they the same as the Athlon 64's? I'd rather just switch it over and save $20 on a hsf I don't need.

EDIT: I went with the retail version just for the 3 year warranty. Accidents happen :-)
              The stock opteron HSF is a heatpipe cooler similar looking to the A64 one, but with heatpipes sticking out the side. They do a pretty good job for a stock heatsink.

Comment

The Opteron cooler is one of the better socket 939 heatsink/fans out there. It's not quite as good as an XP-90 or XP-120, but it's pretty good.

Comment

lol - i wish id known about the good stock cooler.

iv already bought a gigabyte g-power cooler. thinking that the stock one would suck, like they usually do.
                  ah well, it looks lots cooler!

Comment

Mine came today actually. The cooler looks very efficient. I have one predicament though. I'm not sure if I feel like cleaning off the paste they put on the heatsink to put a new layer of AS-5 or should I just leave the stock thermalpaste they use. Half says that the AS-5 would make better contact and cool a bit better, but my other half says I'm very lazy and the stock goop will be just fine. Mind you I won't be overclocking yet since my mobo doesn't have any good bios optimizations.

Comment

I was thinking the way you are with my X2 3800, I didnt end up removing the stock thermal paste, just left it there. I will be buying an XP120 fairly soon, so I figured "screw it". Keep in mind though that it is harder to remove after its been used....

Comment

Well, I ended up cleaning the stock paste off and putting on some AS-5. I know since I'm at stock speed it won't make a difference, I just like the adhesive better. Plus I have 2 tubes of it so why not? I'm going to check temps later today and see how it's working. The heatsink moved around a little bit while I was trying to lock it down so I don't know if it moved some paste around, although you don't need a heaping layer so it will probably be fine.

Comment

anyway.....

i was hoping to tell everyone that the opteron is great and all that, but i cannot find a single one left on any mainstream UK retail site. i wasnt going to pay a premium on ones on ebay, so i went the easy way and ordered a athlon 64 3200 venice core.

Comment

The ones on eBay cost more because most retail ones are from a stepping the doesn't overclock as well. But you'll do just fine with the Venice. You might get as high as 2.7GHz, depending on temps.

Comment

oh yesss....

the opteron may be better, but the athlon is simply awesome. northwood pentium 4s begone forever!
                              2.5ghz.

Comment

Working...
                              X