P4 confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P4 confusion

I notice the Pentium 4, 2.4ghz, 533fsb comes with both 512k L2 cache and also with 1mb cache. Prices seem to be about the same for both. Is there a downside to the extra cache? Prices being about equal, what reason would there be for not going with the larger cache?

Likewise the 3.0Ghz, 800fsb comes both in a 'Northwood' with 512k cache and a 'Prescott, with a 1mb cache, and again, price is about the same. Why consider the smaller cache version? Why do they do this? Why?

I'm getting ready to upgrade (or maybe just forget the whole thing) using an Asus P4P800-SE mobo. I may have a line on a used p4, 2.5Ghz, 512k L2 cache. I'll use it if I can get it cheap. If not, I'll have to sort through the other options. Suggestions?

Any info will be appreciated.

Re: P4 confusion

The Prescott's suck. (That is the 1mb cache CPU's) Stick with the Northwood (512k cache) CPU's.

Comment

Any particular reason for not liking the Prescot? The other processor i'm considering (the 2.53 gig, 512k, 533fsb) is from a dell dimension. I don't know if it's stock or was added. Using it would mean sticking my old 1.7Ghz celeron into the Dell. How would performance be with that processor and the Asus mobo and some good RAM? Is it worth considering the extra $$ for the 800Mhz fsb cpu since the board will accommodate it? As usual, budget is a consideration here

Comment

The downside to prescott is the heat...those things can get to 80C under heavy load.

Comment

The Prescott doesn't really do much for performance except in a video video encoding applications I doubt you'll ever use, and as has been said, it runs extremely hot.

Are you considering buying a new motherboard and a used processor, or do you already have the P4P800-SE?

Comment

bought the board (new) to go with a cpu that's in a stock dell dimension ( & swap my other cpu , a 1.7 celeron into the dell). I'd like to upgrade using a new cpu, but moneywise this way hurts less. Any problems I should watch for with the new board/ used cpu combo?

Comment

uhm.. question... what's the difference between a Prescott, Northwood, and Willamette processor?

and who are these people???

just curious...

Comment

Originally posted by megidoflare
                uhm.. question... what's the difference between a Prescott, Northwood, and Willamette processor?
                Willamette = 180nm build process and 256KB L2 cache
                Northwood = 130nm build process and 512KB L2 cache
                Prescott = 90nm build process and 1MB L2 cache and more pipeline stages

Comment

oh.. okay.. thanx! ;)

Comment

Also, Willamette only is 400mhz FSB, Northwood has 400, 533, and 800mhz FSB variants. Prescott has 533 and 800mhz variants.

Comment

I have a 2.53ghz Pentium 4 Northwood on a 533mhz FSB, and if you want gaming performance, its what you should get. This processor will destroy Presscotts (at least the slower ones).

Comment

Originally posted by joedemagio
                        I have a 2.53ghz Pentium 4 Northwood on a 533mhz FSB, and if you want gaming performance, its what you should get. This processor will destroy Presscotts (at least the slower ones).
                        Now that makes me laugh.
                        With that CPU you don't get Hyperthreading support for starters and the FSB restricts performance. You'll need a 800MHz FSB Northwood for that statement of your's to be close but it still wouldn't "destroy" a Prescott.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
                          Now that makes me laugh.
                          With that CPU you don't get Hyperthreading support for starters and the FSB restricts performance. You'll need a 800MHz FSB Northwood for that statement of your's to be close but it still wouldn't "destroy" a Prescott.
                          I believe he's only got a 533mhz FSb so the Presscott that he could buy would only have a 533mhz FSB also, hyperthreading isn't a huge factor in gaming either, as the AMD processors show. I have seen benchs where Northwoods far surpass similar Presscotts, or even faster Presscotts. I see the Presscott as a step backwards, not forwards. The best Intel processor right now IMHO, is the Pentium M.

Comment

No one is disagreeing with you on the Prescotts, except that they aren't quite as bad as you seem to think, but that's irrelevant... There's abosolutely no reason to get a 533MHz FSB CPU when he's going to be getting a Asus P4P800-SE, which supports 800MHz FSB P4s, which are vastly superior to 400/533MHz ones. Hyperthreading is very beneficial, too, just not in almost any games.

Comment

Well destroy dosen't mean like Intel 486 vs AMD 64 destroy......lol that'd be the funniest comparison ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X