Amd Xp 3200 barton core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd Xp 3200 barton core

is it worth upgrading for 200 bucks to this processor i have a xp 2600 thouroughbred now overclocked getting 2.08 ghtz, this processor comes out of the box as 2.2 ghz is it worth it i heard you can't really overclock it that well... can somebody tell me before i drop 200 bucks on this.

Re: Amd Xp 3200 barton core

My Barton cored 2400+ Mobile does that overclocked on air... compare prices and you make the call.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

A 2400 Mobile with Arctic SIlver 5 and a decent cooler will set you back well under $150 and should be able to hit 2.3-2.8GHz.

Comment

Shouldn't even set you back that much as the 2400+ Mobile (45-watt version) is only going in at $78. The 35-watt variety goes a little higher at $84. You can pick up a solid cooler (if you don't already have one) for about $30 and AS5 will cost you add a few more bucks to the total.
        My Toys

Comment

That's why I said well under. ;) Anywhere from $100 - $130 is about right. But yeah, one of those 1.35V Mobiles with a $30+ HSF (a Volcano 12 ought to be good) and AS5 for about $10 can still be a very fast system.

Comment

You already have a 2600+ so if you have a retail heatsink why not just replace it with at least a half decent copper heatsink and then overclock it up to or beyond 3200+ speeds (so long as you have a reasonably decent mainboard and good case airflow)?

Comment

He has the T-Bred core... wasn't there a stopping point for most overclocks on this processor that was a good deal lower than the Barton core? With the Barton you could almost always begin your OC by simply moving to a 200MHz FSB, but if I recall there were a lot of T-Bred processors that failed at this level of speed.

It has been a while since I've played with the T-Bred so correct me if I'm off base here.
              My Toys

Comment

yea I recently actually just had my computer crash i put a post up on the overclocking forum, i had it at 200 mhtz and it totally crashed i had to take the battery off the motherboard for 15 min and let it reset itself. If i bought that processor that you were talking about i would have to buy the volcano or could i use the old heatsink from the processor i have now... is that mobile one better than the barton core 3200? i bought the t-bred because i thought u could really overclock that and it was cheaper than the barton..

Comment

i wanted one of those amd 64 but i have a socket a mobo and i guess they don't make them for socket a.... also why is amd such a close competor to intel i have an amd and love it but intel has 800 fsb mine can't even get 200!

Comment

FSB isn't everything, its that simple. Try this wonderful thing called GOOGLE

Comment

well what is the best amd processor for socket a under 200 bucks? i need it for halflife 2

Comment

You'll want to make sure that your motherboard supports the core of the processor you purchase. Without knowing what mainboard you are working with, it is not possible to give you a definitive answer to your question.
                        My Toys

Comment

Agreed. But if you motherboard overclocks at all, I'd get a Mobile Barton 2400 instead. It's much cheaper, and will usually run at higher speeds on the same cooling. You probably wouldn't need either for Half-Life 2, though.

Comment

how do u overclock ur mobo i just knew of the processor... i have the asus a7n8x delux it can go up to 3 gigs and its socket a... can some1 tell me why amd is better then intel if intel has better numbers?

Comment

You don't necessarily overclock the motherboard. I meant if the board is capable of overclocking.

Intel just has higher clock speeds on its processors. There's a lot more to it. There's L1 and L2 cache to consider; there's bus speed; there's multimedia instuction sets; there's simple core efficiency. The only way to truly know what performs better in what applications is to read test (or do them yourself).

Comment

Working...
                              X