old duron900...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old duron900...

is a 250w power supply enough for this cpu.. i used to have that ps for my P3... thanks

It depends on all the other components your using. Say your just using one Hard Drive and a CDROM drive with that and no more than two or three fans and no lighting in the case than thats fine. Full details on what your using it for would be nice :)

Comment

The machine my son is using right now has a Duron 950, 448mb RAM, CD ROM, 2 trilight 80mm fans, and a 12"neon tube all running on a cheap 250watt PSU. Not saying that you will get the same mileage but it can be done.
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

as long as the 12v rail puts out enough amps, you should be OK.
        most 250W supplies have weak 12v rail

Comment

try this 'psu wattage calculator' to see if a 250W psu is enough (general estamate only)

also seen in this thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...threadid=16676

but if the rest of the hardware is from the same era and in a typical config then a 250W psu should been enough, but like it's already been said the combined total of your hardware is what you need to be worried about and the link i posted will help you with

Comment

Old-School, now were talking! :smokin:

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
              try this 'psu wattage calculator' to see if a 250W psu is enough (general estamate only)
              From that URL...
              The Wattages listed below are maximum potential wattages for each item. The total amount this calculator figures is for all devices running at peak utilization.
              Ok, you must note that those are the maximum possible draw of power of all devices in the category. Only the processor/video/fan/pci cards are correct. Everything else is highly exaggerated. For example, a hard drive often requires as much as 15-20 watts during BOOT... and that only takes just 2-3 seconds to reach full spindle speed. Your processor will never be maxed out at boot, therefore you can figure 8-10 watts per drive.

CD-Rom drives @ 20 watts? LOL, they take no power unless they are spinning, and even then we're talkin maybe 10-14 for a really fast drive.

To conclude: I entered in my system specs into that page, and it suggested to me that I need a 500 Watt supply. I have an Antec 330 Watt, and it has never been a problem. (And before I got my Antec case 2 years ago, i was running the exact same system with a GENERIC 300 Watt supply...

So you can take whatever that site suggests and chop off 40 percent or so...

Comment

Ditto, I entered in my system and it said I should have a 371watt PSU. I've been running it on this generic Dell PSU for two years, not a hitch. For a Duron 900, you should be fine. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

My brother is usin my old comp he has 1100 duron 1 hd 1 cd rom and 2 case fans over 800 megs of pc133 ram and gforce 2 vid card nic card and modem. on 230watt psu came wit case over 4 years old lol .She works great.

Comment

Working...
                  X