Intel's proc names attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's proc names attack!

It boggles the mind: The verysame company that engineers some of the world's most sophisticated technology is now releasing "nomenclature maddness" upon the teeming geeks masses. If you've already read some of the reports located at intels site or other sources You would better understand that I'm referring to the current Pentium 4 line up.

Some P4's are based on the Northwood core others the willamet core and now we have the Prescott based cores.

As you buy diffrent cores you also will run into diffrent front-side bus speeds 400(Willamette) 533(northwood) etc....

Some come with diffrent cahce sizes
    8kb L1 256kb L2(Willamette the original P4) even up to 2mb L3 cahce others have no L3 at all.

Now comes the confusing part lets take hyper threading; you'd think all the new prescott based cores will support it, but the 2.8 ghz P4's do not.

If you're interested in buying a 3.4ghz p4 you'd better know exactly which one you're looking for and how its desiginated by special notation. Why you ask? Because Intel is selling there diffrent 3.4ghz cpu's bearing the pentium 4 name.

Take for example the new Prescott processor which runs at 3.4 ghz and has the designator, "E" on it This can easily be confused with Intel's Extreme edition which runs at exactly the same clock frequency but do not share the same cores.

The other one is based on the Northwodd core and has the designator , "C" on it again with the same 3.4 ghz clock frequency

Another thing about the prescott core is that it's slower than the 3.4ghz extreme edition which only adds to the mouting confusion that surrounds these mostly new product launches.:shrug:

:wow:

And to add to the Nomenclature maddness Intel is scheduled to release the Prescott core in 3.4 3.2 and 3 ghz ranges and 2 2.8 ghz versions. all of the Prescott based chips will carry an 800 mhz bus and will carry the "E" designator. Here's were its gets insane...One version of the prescott will run on a 533 mhz bus and carry the designator of A 2.80A.

You thought we were done? :devil win

The pentium 4 Northwood core 2.80 "C" version on the 800 hmz bus. is that not a mess or what? Where is the B version?

Intel must have ommited it....and its strange to think that for the first time a new core that has 31 piplines and has the capability of ascending to the level of 5 ghz will come out in a slower bus speed(as mentioned above) and will also run at the same bus speed as one northwood(533 mhzbus) but will be faster. Its time for a drink my friends

Good news is that I've heard through my grape-vine that Intel is coming out with a new naming system for these lil buggars.:woot:

Note to desingner of site...edit rules!!!:afro:

Originally posted by #Hashx#

confused with Intel's Extreme edition which runs at exactly the same clock frequency but do not share the same cores.
    Confusing? Its even worse when you consider that the P4EE should really be called Xeon in socket478!

Comment

So what's ya gripe? :confused:
      Northwood cores have come in 400QDR (P4 A, 4x100MHz), 533QDR (P4 B, 4x133MHz), 800QDR (P4 C, 4x200MHz) and most ppl also know that the EE is based on the XEON core.
      Maybe this thread should be moved to the Whinning forum? :?:

Comment

You got me all wrong:o

Comment

Comment

What link?:confused:

Comment

Working...
            X