Hyper Threading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper Threading

What is it? Do both the Mainboard and CPU have to support it?

Yes, I'm pretty sure both the CPU and Motherboard have to support it. But any mobo made for a P4C anymore with Springdale/Canterwood chipsets support it (I think)

HyperThreading in English creates another virtual processor, splitting your 1 physical processor into 2 virtual processors. This lets programs use the advatages of dual processors without actually having 2 processors. The performance is no where near the same, but it adds a good bit of performance. If you're into Seti or Folding @HOME, Hyperthreading lets you run 2 instances of the @Home program at once, as if you had 2 processors.

/ramble off

I hope that helps :)

Comment

Mobo and CPU must support it, and yes 865 and 875 chipsets are Hyper-Threading

Comment

I have a Gigabyte GA-8SQ800 mainboard in one of my systems that supports it but I'm pretty sure that the P4 2.4ghz B CPU does not. Right?

Comment

HT CPU's are the 3.06b, 2.4c,2.6c,2.8c,3.0c, and the 3.2c

So no, yours doesn't

Comment

The os has to support it too. Winxp Home, for example, does not support it.

Comment

Media editing/encoding is another area were HT makes a BIG difference.

Comment

Another hyperthreading question ... figured I put it in this thread. I was chatting with my local tech a couple of days ago and he tried to convince me that all I need for my system to hyperthread is another stick of matching RAM and then went on to explain how the system would then process infomation from two threads nearly simultainiously by using both sticks of RAM independantly. Now ... I'm no professional ... so I went away shaking my head and thinking that I knew better than what he was trying to tell me. I did some research and emailed him with an example of how hyperthreading actually works from a webpage that I had found and stated that I figured that he had confused dual memory channel technology with hyperthreading. The following stuff in quotes was his responce:

"That is exactly what I said ... The board is capable but the chip is not ... All you have to do is change the chip for a 400 Mhz FSB and have a match set of RAM to have hyperthreading on your computer.

That is why I go to the intel training every year ... So I can keep up with this and be able to answer the questions ".

Guess he figured that I was stepping on his toes or something. Please correct me if I am wrong but matching RAM really has nothing to do with hyperthreading does it? My poor Celeron uses 400 FSB but is, of course, not capible of hyperthreading as I understand it. So far, (from a real quick search), I was unable to find a CPU under 533 FSB that was able to hyperthread. As for dual channel memory ... it looks like my board missed the boat by a chipset or two.

.....anyway.... bottom line ... am I correct in my thinking (as my research so far tells me) and can anyone give me a link to a good and reputable webpage that explains what is and is not required for hyperthreading that I can send to this guy to convince him? I've done some serious googling and come up with a few but none with a truely simple explaination.
                Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

As you assumed, he got Dual Channel RAM and HT mixed up.

All that is required for HT is a supportive CPU (3.06b, 2.4c,2.6c,2.8c,3.0c, and the 3.2c) and Mobo, not Dual Channel RAM, though most HT chipsets have dual channel, so your right, he's wrong. Also, no Celeron HT CPU's

Comment

Thanks for confirming what I pretty much thought amd_man2003!
                    Anyone got any good links that I can foreward to my mistaken tech?
                    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Comment

One thing that is now stated there is that XP Home now supports HT but I'd like to now what update is responsible for this as when HT was first explored M$ stated that Home wasn't up to usin' HT due to it bein' a single CPU os. :?:

Comment

Thanks Wiggo .... that should do it. I did wander around Intels' site before but missed that page for some reason. .... of course being as how the guy has already dismissed me as not knowing what I'm talking about he may not actually even read it. Guess I could let it go but he has (up untill now) been a lot of help and I owe him a favor or two. Can't really see it being good for his business when he starts selling more RAM to people and telling them how to HT their Celeron system.

Comment

I am running XP home with ASUS P4P800 (non deluxe) and using the 2.6c... Hyper Threading enabled in BIOS.

Device manager shows me two processors.

Comment

Working...
                          X