Motherboard od Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard od Death

I just boughta new motherboard (MSI-KT4V (via kt400 chipsey) and transplanted my old athlon xp 1900 cpu into it, all seems to be going fine, however i'm trapped on the default multiplier and fsb setting (133fsb and 12 multiplier) , whenever I change these settings I can't even make it to the bios screen usually and have to use the reset bios feature of the motherboard. The msi boards come with those stupid little diagnostic bracktes, the first time I installed the cpu it announced a cpu fault which promptly buggered off when the cpu was reseated, however now its reporting a RAM fault whenevr the cpu defaults are changed in the bios. I've tried two different typed of ddr ram, both apparently compatible, and both from different manufacturers.

Any ideas on what could possibly be wrong, it just seems strange that we're are apparently getting ram problems when we change any of the cpu settings. Thanks for any help. :afro:

You can't get a Via chipset and hope to overclock very well.....:(

Comment

Whats ya DDR RAM rated at?

Comment

At the moment we're more interested in getting the cpu up to its standard running speed 1900 (1.6 ghz), at the moment we're stuck on 1200 with the fsb at 100 and the multiplier at 12, any change from that, even slightly seems to crash everything. we've tried two different types of ram and got the same error, one was 512megs of corsair valueram ddr3200 cl2.5, the other was kingston valueram 2700 cl2.5, it just seems odd that a change to the cpu in the bios results in an apparent ram problem according to the diagnostic panel.

Comment

Change it all to Expert, and go and set RAM to expert. Make the RAM speed 100% or 1:1 or sometihng like that, then set the timings to 8-3-3-2.5 and up the FSB to 133

Comment

Heh, this will no doubt be a rather stupid question but what do you mean by expert mode? Is this just just your bios's version of user defined instead of auto? The only ram options I can access in the bios (amibios 3.31a) in this board is the Dram timing panel. In this are options to change sdram frequency, cas latency, row precharge time, ras pulse width, ras, and bank interleave. All of which i've left on auto bar the cas latency which is at 2.5. I can't find an area to input the figures you suggest.

Comment

My fault, was thinkin you had an nforce2 mobo, But just leave your timings as is for now, and look for a FSB:RAM speed divider, and set that to 1:1 . Also, Make sure there isnt a FSB speed jumper on ya mobo

Comment

I've tried various other settings and i'm still not having much luck changing any of the settings above the motherboards auto 1200mhz setting (barryd is my friend with whom i'm having all these cpu problems). It's extremely odd, every time I change the fsb. even slightly, the diagnostic panel gives the ultimate evil signal "cpu damage or fault" , the pc then won't run, even to the bios screen until the entire cpu is taken out, and reseated in the socket, then it begins as new, at 1200mhz, as if nothing has happened. It's the first time i've seen anything like it, any idea what could cause the whole cpu to act as if dead and then return to life when reseated? Any help would be a godsend :confused:

Comment

I think you should get a real overclockers board like the Abit NF7. You'll be glad you did :cool:.

Comment

Hmm, yes overclocking sounds lovely and all, but well, as mentioned previously, all i bloody want is it to run at it's standard clock speed :mad: . 1900xp=1.6 ghz, anything over 1.2 ghz means instant death, that's what's so puzzling.

Comment

try normal/safe/low bios default setting, it should reset everything correctly

Comment

Working...
                      X