Is the 3200 the last processor they will make that is 32 bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the 3200 the last processor they will make that is 32 bit

Title says it all, is the 3200 the last of the 32 bit processors before the change to 64 bit??
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Will somebody answer this? It is just a simple question.
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

I doubt it. AMD will probably continue making 32 bit procs as its budget models, at least until 64 bit starts to catch on

Comment

I think theyneverknew is right, the 32 isn't dead yet, Athlon 64 isn't selling yet, the'll be on the market as long as the 64 bit proc. doesn't have a cheap series to replace them!

Comment

Do you mean "32-bit only"? Cuz the 64 does both...

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
            Do you mean "32-bit only"? Cuz the 64 does both...
            Im sure he means 32bit only

Comment

Yeah, I meant 32 bit ONLY.
              Here are my specs:

Comment

Well, i could be wrong, but nvidia made a slip up some time ago, saying that their nforce2 chipset would be compatible with the upcoming 200fsb chips. Since they have nforce3 for 64bit, expect next generation of chips to have 200FSB.
                Again, this is just what I assume. by no means this is fact.
                HTH

Comment

Well, i could be wrong, but nvidia made a slip up some time ago, saying that their nforce2 chipset would be compatible with the upcoming 200fsb chips. Since they have nforce3 for 64bit, expect next generation of chips to have 200FS

The 3200 is a 200mhz FSB!!!! I don't think that is a slip up :-)

Why would you want a 32bit only chip when the opteron is currently showing higher performance per clock than the athlon? just don't run a 64bit op sys, then you will have a 32bit chip that outperforms the current athlon clock for clock.

If you want a chip to fit in your current board then you will have to be running something that supports the 400mhz FSB and it is possible AMD will release an athlon 3400 running at 2.3 or 2.4.

They have done everything in the last year to improve the performance of their chips without putting the core clock above 2.2, I think that it really is the end of the line (or nearly!) for the current athlon, but all is not lost the athlon has become the athlon64 and, yes, this should clock higher and offer better performance per clock. (if you only want 32bit then just use a 32 bit op sys)

In short the athlon has not ended it just needs a new socket :-). Something that if you were an intel user you would need every few weeks anyway LOL

Comment

In short the athlon has not ended it just needs a new socket :-). Something that if you were an intel user you would need every few weeks anyway LOL [/B][/QUOTE]

That is a problem because new socket= new motherboard! I just got my asus a7n8x put in! Sheesh!
                    Here are my specs:

Comment

I thought so!

Its likely that the 3200 may be the last chip supported in your mainboard, thats the current facts anyway! however a lot of people have o/c their chips to 2.4 so its possible AMD may release a faster chip but they are not stated to do so.

May i ask what exactly you are currently running (ie XP rating as sold and what fsb/multiplier you are currently running at?)

Comment

Originally posted by vortigern_red
                        I thought so!

Its likely that the 3200 may be the last chip supported in your mainboard, thats the current facts anyway! however a lot of people have o/c their chips to 2.4 so its possible AMD may release a faster chip but they are not stated to do so.

May i ask what exactly you are currently running (ie XP rating as sold and what fsb/multiplier you are currently running at?)

Look at my specs. I am just running at stock speed... no overclock for my xp 2600 processor. Matter of fact, no overclock on anything I have!
                        Here are my specs:

Comment

sorry I don't tend to even notice peoples sigs, bit like banner ads LOL

so you can upgrade your current set up to a barton core when the prices of the 3000+ come down that will give you a small performance boost.

you may even get a 3200 in there if your board is rev2.

Or just save up for a new board and an athlon64 for xmas

Comment

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD01MzY= these perform to the 3200+ and beyond :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by vortigern_red
                              Why would you want a 32bit only chip when the opteron is currently showing higher performance per clock than the athlon?
                              It does but it hardly has anything to do with 64-bit capabilities. A lot of it has to do with its new on-die memory controller...the new processors are doing 4000mb/s with a single CPU and 4600mb/s in dual CPU configuration with slow DDR333 (FSB is 200 so ideally you would run DDR400 at least). I used to see overclocked Athlons at 2.5ghz struggling to reach 3500. In comparison my system did 4600 stock as well but an easy 6000-6500 with some new RAM. They are finally catching up to Intel in this respect.

Comment

Working...
                              X