nForce2 Chipset:Advantages and Disadvantages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nForce2 Chipset:Advantages and Disadvantages

what are the advantages and disadvantages of buying an nForce2 chipset mobo?:thumb: :thumbs do

Well you probably already know I just bought an ASUS A7N8X... here are some of the advantages and idsadvantages...

Advantages:
    Onboard LAN
    Onboard sound (even better than SBlive! I removed that card once I installed the new mobo, because I heard it was awesome, and it's 100% true :afro: )
    Dual-Channel DDR
    DDR PC3200/DDR400 support
    Onboard USB sometimes USB 2
    Sometimes onboard video (It's alright for HL engine games, and games for lower ended hardware, but there is only so much a poopie card can do)
    I can honestly say this is the best motherboard I have had in my life

Disadvantages:
    Newer so linux drivers can be a little of a biotch to install...
    Price in the $$$ (I got mine from a comp fair and paid $117 U.S. dollers after tax, but retail I hear my board is in the 140's.)
    Slightly picky about memory (I had trouble with my generic PC2100 2 512 sticks that I tested with memtest on my old ECS K7S5A and it reported 0 errors in 6 and a 1/2 hours. Tried it on the Nforce 2 chipset and it reported 393 in 8 and a 1/2 hours! I swapped it for 2 256 PC3200 Samsung sticks and I seem to be doing fine now!

Comment

Well even with the release of VIA's KT400A the nForce2 chipset is still by far the best Athlon/Duron platform around but like anything else quality parts must be use for the best results and usin' parts like generic memory is something that should never be used in any high speed chipset mobo (especially when rated below PC2700).

Comment

the nforce2 doesnt really have any disadvantages, except for being mem picky. Im buying an EPoX EP-8RDA+ today for $100, which has the nforce2 chipset. If you are looking to buy a nforce2 mobo, this is the one

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
          the nforce2 doesnt really have any disadvantages, except for being mem picky.
          So.. which Mem am I better off buying. I know XMS and OCZ are great for running at fast speeds and overclocking results show a +40 % increase over new 3200 mem supposedly. I expect to buy 3200/ 3500 or 3700 x 2 256meg sticks when i claim my next wage slip. My theory is I don't think my 2700 Infineon mem is of much advantage when im running a slower rated CPU than the statistics show capable of 166mhz speeds. So this mem may indeed run at 166mhz but maybe the CPU doesn't like this... umm but on this board shouldn't the mem run at different speeds without having to touch the CPU??

Settings:

CPU external clock frequency - (133mhz)
          CPU frequency multiple settings - (Auto)
          System performance - (Optimal)
          CPU interface - (Optimal)
          Memory frequency - (By SPD)
          Resulting frequency - (166mhz)
          Memory timings - (optimal)
          SDRAM active precharge delay - (7)
          SDRAM ras to cas delay - 3
          SDRAM ras precharge delay - (7)
          SDRAM cas latency (2.5T)
          FSB spectrum (disabled)
          AGP spread spectrum (disabled)
          CPU vcore setting (auto)
          CPU vcore (1.750v)
          Graphics aperture size - (128mb)
          AGP frequency - (auto)
          System bios cacheable - (enabled)
          Video ram cacheable - (enabled)
          DDR reference voltage - (2.6v)
          AGP vddq voltage - (1.5v)
          AGP 8X support - (enabled)
          AGP fast write capability - (enabled)

Comment

I'd recommend stayin' well away from OCZ as the pain that many have felt from this company with products that wern't up to scratch and tryin' to get RMA's is a hard task in itself. Corsair have never let me down though.

Comment

Yea definetly listen to Wiggo, the man knows what he's talking about. If I was you I would go with Samsung. It's what I am running in my board right now, and the ASUS guy didn't recommend it, but he said they had a box working fine with it. It's the cheapest name-brand memory you can get, and IMHO it's DEFINETLY worth the money spent. A lot of other manufacters even use Samsung memory chips in their product Ex: Geforce 4 series (NOTE: This was told to me directly by a guy @ ASUS when I called asking to see which memory the board likes 'best') Crucial is good memory. Stay away from GeiL, they are just poo poo heads, who say they have Uber-leet memory when it's really O/C's crap. Corsair is alright, although I havn't had experiance w/ them directly I have heard good things. Just check w/ your mobo manufacter to see what kind of memory you buy is compatible... Trust me it will save you a LOT of time in the future. I don't know if I told you guys what happened when I first got my ASUS A7N8X, but it was a pain. I checked the memory last, and it turned out to be that the board didn't like it. Memtest revealed 393 errors in 8 1/2 hours, and in my ECS K7S5A it revealed 0 in 6 1/2 hours! A lesson learned NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy generic memory! EVER!

Comment

Working...
              X