Computer problem--Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer problem--Please help!

I have put together a new computer... using an Intel D850EMV2 motherboard, 512MB of compatible PC-800 RDRAM, Soundblaster Audigy sound card, p4 2.53ghz, 80GB hard drive, CD-R, DVD... Everything is assembled... I turn on the power... I get no error beeps... However, no picture shows up on my monitor! The monitor just keeps the blinking orange standby light... and never powers up when I press the computers' on switch. . .

What could be the problem??

Could be dodgy video card?

Comment

Nope. . . I have two brand new video cards I tried... Ti4400, and a Ti4600... the fans come on in both of the cards... But still no picture.

Comment

Have you tried a different monitor or yours on a different comp?

Comment

Also it could be a jumper setting.

Comment

Does everything spin up compared to a normal computer, or is it just all the fans / power supply and a couple lights here and there?

Comment

It seems like everything's running just fine. . . All the fans and everything start spinning... Processor fan, case fans, etc... All the lights on the motherboard are on... The CD and DVD drive light up... and it sounds like it's running normal... But there's no picture on the monitor... I have 8 monitors laying around, I get no picture on any of them...

Hmmm... jumper setting... I don't know what jumper setting would cause the monitor to not come on... But I haven't checked that out... I'll give it a shot...

Comment

Any chance the mounting tray for the mobo could be misaligned with the case? That could cause the video card to pull out of the AGP slot when you secure the card with the screw.

I've seen it happen, just the other day in fact --- Oh dopey me!
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Checked... That's not it... Video card is securely in place

Comment

So what you're saying is that everything spins up and you get nothing? I'm guessing here, but it could be your RAM / CPU not seated properly, or possibly not even working.

Normally, if it were the video card, and you didn't get the little POST beep code, you would still get a beep when the computer displays the POST / Memory test screen. Then you'd hear the HDD shuffling about looking for an operating system...

The only time I've never heard a beep out of anything was when my CPU was faulty...

Comment

I'm not getting any beeps at all...

I'll try another processor to see if that could be the problem.

Comment

Ok... I tried a new working processor... and still, nothing happens... And I also have brand new working PC800 RDRAM as well... I tried some other RAM that was bad and it gave me the three beeps for First 64K memory failure...

The hard drive does spin up and all... All the lights come on... All the fans spin... everything turns on... But still no beep... no picture on the monitor...

What could it be??? This is driving me insane

Comment

I had the same prob, that is: no signal to monitor after upgrading from my Aopen GE2 MX 400 AGP card to a PNY GE4 MX 440 card. The monitor acted like the computer was shut off. I put my old card back in and everything is fine again. Obviously it's the video card. The Aopen card is noticably thicker and had a nice "snap" into the slot. The PNY is thin, slides into the slot with no resistance and seemed floppy side to side in the slot. I think the PNY card was not making good contact in the AGP slot. I returned it and I am living with my old card which works fine.

I suggest trying different brand of video card. I suspect AGP slots can vary also depending on mb brand. My other machine is an Intel mb 845gbv with an ATI card that works fine.

My main machine is a P4 1.6a, Gigabyte 8SRX, Kingston 512k 2700 RAM, PSU 300watt. I do not usually oc, but it will oc to >2.0 easily.

Let us know how you do.

Comment

I think its a ram problem. Consult your manual.

Comment

I had different RAM in it... PC-600... and it was incompatible.. I got the three long beeps that meant First 64k memory failure... but I got new RAM and i no longer get the beeps... so I would think that means the RAM is good...

But I don't know... I"m running out of ideas here.

Comment

Working...
                              X