Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of this 754/939 combo board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you guys think of this 754/939 combo board?

You can check out the Anandtech one I posted (which is probably more in-depth, anyway... no offense Darth). But, if you're just a "medium gamer," it would probably be smarter to stick with a socket 754 system. A socket 939 gaming system is going to cost you a lot of money.

Comment

No offense taken. I tend to focus more on numbers than on technology, just mentioning the important parts. Anand goes more in depth than I usually do.

As to being a better overall board, I'll reserve judgement until I finish my tests, but I have been showing a better performance in games when using the VIA chipset and a little better (marginal but better) results when using tests that deal with rendering or compression (mainly PCMark and Cinebench) from the nForce3 chipset.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Excellent. I'll be interested in those tests. Anandtech is indeed my favorite review site, but sometimes the tests are lacking in the actual numbers.

Comment

Hey Darth, you would generate extra interest IMHO if you also fit in the ASrock combo board with your evaluations (754 and 939 benchies). I know I'm waiting to see more head to head hardcore tests. How about it?

Comment

Probably doubtful at this point in time as my processor selection is currently limited to s462 and s939. I wouldn't be able to test out the s754 aspects of the board. All of our s754 processors are currently in Australia as far as I know.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

But the s754 isn't bad for gaming, right? The s939 should perform the same as the s754 in your roundup, shouldn't it?

Comment

If you could, just throw in the ASRock 939 benchmarks in for kicks. Even without 754 data you'll at least give us an idea of how it performs when at its best. No one else is reviewing it now.

Comment

I just wanted to update here really quick. I've been looking at this board so I did a search here and found this thread. Here is the link to the review with the 939 cpu.--> http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/asro...ombo-z/b1a.htm It says that they put an ATI 9800xt card in it (3rd page in), but I haven't found a pic of how it fit. Any more comments? I'm really interested in this board since I'm putting together a new system and I want it to be functional and upgradable for a while.
                  Nice forum, BTW. There seems to be some knowledgeable and friendly users here!

Comment

Working...
                  X