Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of this 754/939 combo board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of this 754/939 combo board?

I've read a bit about it and the only review and benchmarks look decent:

For someone who might consider buying it with a 3200+ just so I can upgrade to the top 939 processor a year or so down the road, what do you think?
    Last edited by arredondo; 09-16-2004, 12:02 AM.

Re: What do you guys think of this 754/939 combo board?

Wow. Depending on price, that would be the motherboard of my dreams. It would knock the MSI K8N Neo Platinum out of my mind altogether. I have got to check this board out. Wait a minute. It's $77 from Newegg but it has an ALi M1689 chipset, no firewire, and probably crappy onboard sound compared to the Neo Platinum. Hmmm. Anybody else?
    Last edited by T Bell; 09-15-2004, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Another thing to consider is that when you upgrade to a s939 CPU you will have to use the onboard video as you will no longer to be able to use the AGP slot once the s939 adapter board is installed.

Comment

Where'd you get that from? OC Workbench ran their tests on the board and had either a Radeon 9700 or Radeon 9800 in them. Last I checked, these were only available in AGP format.

Comment

He's talking about the other board that requires you to install the 939 socket I think, not this one.

Apparently Asus is now making boards with the Ali chipset now, so it's not too bad I imagine. I don't need firewire and how hard is it to make decent sound these days? I hope to find out more reviews on it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan_Lander
            Where'd you get that from? OC Workbench ran their tests on the board and had either a Radeon 9700 or Radeon 9800 in them. Last I checked, these were only available in AGP format.
            Yes they also ran them with a s754 CPU (the article states that s939 results will come later) but once you put the s939 daughter board into place a video card will have no room to fit with the s939 CPU in the way.

Comment

What are you talking about? Look at the board... the 939 socket (big yellow patch) is no where near the AGP socket (left side with the thin purple cap):

As a matter of fact, they tested the 9800XT with the FX 53 on the board but you have to read the review twice (the links branches halfway through).

Comment

Sorry but I got that mainboard confused with this other one of their's, http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/asro...e-760gx/g1.htm

Comment

Yeah, you're right about that one. What were they thinking? Who would spring for a 939 processor and settle for intergrated graphics?

In any case, any other opinions on this product? It sounds like it might be a decent purchase for those who don't like to upgrade their whole system often.

Comment

I will have to wait and see how the reviews are on this one. I would like to see other boards with this same thinking. But as for now, my MSI is still on my list. I just don't know much about the chipset.

Comment

T Bell... you a gamer? If so then you might want to look at a VIA based board instead of the nForce3 MSI. I'll be posting a small roundup soon of a few s939 boards and so far the VIA does a little better in the gaming department. Just something to think about.
                      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                      My Toys

Comment

Not in socket 754 systems... The MSI K8N Neo Platinum is a socket 754 board.

Comment

Ah, mis-read his system board. Add a little "2" behind the Neo and that is the only difference between model numbers to a s939 board.
                          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                          My Toys

Comment

Yep. Only thing is, the MSI K8N Neo Platinum 2 is still just as good as, if not better than the VIA K8T800 equivelents...
                            I'd recommend you read this article. I'll certainly take a look at your test results, but overall it shows some of the best performance, including gaming performance.

Comment

I would consider myself a console convert. I have a playstation but know that the PC is the way to go. I am building my first computer, hopefully before the new year. Tight now, I would call myself a medium gamer as opposed to the full out hardcore gamer. I thought the nForce3 was a good chipset for gaming, if not the best. I am really waiting on that roundup.

Comment

Working...
                              X