Damn Compaq Mobo! Help me Get the Good Sh**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Compaq Mobo! Help me Get the Good Sh**

My cousins compaq computer does not start because of his mobo..

i want to buy a new one, compaq charges 300 dollars, hell no

so far i have gathered the following info for this mobo

P4, Socket 478, intel 845, 1.6 ghz, 400 fsb, pc2100 ddr-sdram cl 2.5

model:0784h chipset: intel845d rev4 southbridge: intel 82801ba(ich2)
    bios: compaq 686Y2v3.04 7-29-02 agp: 2.0 data rate 4x
    side band addressing enabled...

so far, we think that the only problem with the comp is the mobo, so i am looking just to replace that and keep the same cpu, ram, hdd, etc.

basically, one newegg, i need to find a good mobo that will work with this computer

btw its a compaq presario 5423US, the mobo p/n is 267528-004

TIA!!

Re: Damn Compaq Mobo! Help me Get the Good Sh**

heres a pic of it

Comment

I'll let someone who has studied socket 478 motherboards more provide you with a recommendation. However, just what makes you think the motherboard is the problem? If his computer doesn't start, that could very well be a power supply problem, or a number of other possibilities.

Comment

actually, i took it to circuitcity and they said it was the mobo

the psu i dont think is the problem because the computer turns on, the cpu fan spins, the lights go on, the cd drives eject, however on the screen there is nothing (the self-test screen, check video, etc thing)

at circuit city they tested the video card, and that had no problems, so....

Comment

It can also be the CPU, and still the PSU.

Comment

Still can someone please find a mobo that i could use prefferabbly from newegg pleeeasee

Comment

The Intel "D845GVSRL" i845GV Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 seems like it would work. This is $58 from Newegg. But I have always thought that systems that were built by companies, i.e. Compaq, Hp, Sony, were hard to upgrade. I don't know. But this mobo has the same socketand chipset as yours.

Comment

that mobo does not have an agp slot...uhhh this is not lookin too good...

Comment

Here's a cheapass motherboard that will work for you:

Here's one with better reviews, a better chipset, and better upgradability, with a much higher price:

And this (I'm assuming) looks to be a popular motherboard with enthusiasts in mind that will overclock well and perform well:

But again, there should be someone with more experience in socket 478 that I have. *cough* AMD_man *cough*

Comment

T_Bell had your most stable and probably cheapest solution.

Comment

So that ASUS isn't stable? I thought it was a fairly popular P4 motherboard.

But the lack of an AGP slot has already been identified as a problem...

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
                        T_Bell had your most stable and probably cheapest solution.
                        But as he already stated it does not have an AGP slot and with that Compaq the case is of mATX design so an ATX mainboard is out of the question Yawgm0th.

jabroni288 just look thru this page (and its manufacturers links) for an Intel chipset based mATX mainboard that will suit you (some even overclock).

Comment

thanks for all the help guys...i had a question though, as long as i get a socket 478 mobo and it is intel, it does not have to be the same chipset as the old one correct?

meaning that the cpu i already have (Assuming its not fried), will work with different chipsets, most of which are probably newer than the one on the previous mobo (intel 845d rev4)

Comment

Originally posted by jabroni288
                            thanks for all the help guys...i had a question though, as long as i get a socket 478 mobo and it is intel, it does not have to be the same chipset as the old one correct?
                            No it doesn't. In fact an i865PE based one would be a big improvement (especially if you have 2 sticks of memory that are the same, if not it will work in single channel memory configuration also) and leave you with a bit more of a CPU upgrade path.

Comment

am i limited to i845 - i865 or would this mobo and its "VIA PM266A + VT8235" chipset work..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...170-116&depa=0

if that is set to work, i will buy it. this will be my first time installing anything, so id really like to make sure it is the right one.

to me, by basing it on the pics, the area around the cpu slot is different. is this a problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X