• Show
Clear All

• Which motherboard is better?

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

or

Abit NF7-S

or

DFI nForce2 Ultra 400 Model "NFII ULTRA INFINITY"

Personally,I think that the Abit NF7-S (ver. 2) is the best of these. Why? Three reasons.

The Asus and the DFI both have passive coolers on the northbridge, the Abit is active.

The Asus has a two-phase powersupply to the CPU, the Abit and DFI (I think) have three-phase.

The Asus and the DFI lack the extra mounting holes around the heatsink, while the Abit has them.

Mind you, the Asus has Wi-Fi, and if you'r considering wireless this board is good. The DFI has 4 IDE connectors, and allows PATA raid, and if your thinking about this, then the DFI is good. I also liked the power/reset switches on board that DFI has.

To me the Asus isn't great, but I am not a fan of Asus. The DFI is nice, but it looks like vomit and is a little overpriced to my mind.
    The Abit looks nice, goes well and is not super expensive, so the Abit has it.

You could also look at Epox (good rep., esp. with AMD systems).

Comment

NF7-S has Soundstorm

DFI is the overclocking king

The ASUS is..... I dunno. Oh yeah it has Wi-Fi...

Comment

Well I just got water cooling so I like overclocking :smokin:
        and I use headphones... so Im not sure how much of a difference soundstorm would make...

Just to make sure...this is the board you are talking about when referring to it as the overclocking king?

Comment

Yup that board is known for very very high FSB (240-280 so far) but you need very good memory to reach those speeds.

Comment

What sort of RAM would you be talking about? I have 512 meg of pc2100 Corsair right now, would that be suitable? If not, what would be?

Comment

No, the bus speed on the A64s is just like the Bartons, 200. You are going to want 200mhz memory (PC3200).

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                NF7-S has Soundstorm

DFI is the overclocking king

The ASUS is..... I dunno. Oh yeah it has Wi-Fi...
                I didn't know that the DFI was such a good overclocker. (I guess thats why they can charge so much for them)

Hey, Sancho, do you have a waterblock that mounts onto the lugs on the Socket A? If you don't, then the DFI is out, cause of the no mounting holes problem.

Also, if you were planing on getting the DFI in order to get a insane fsb, then I would also get memory rated above PC3200, so that you are not stressing more things than you have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Rain
                  I didn't know that the DFI was such a good overclocker. (I guess thats why they can charge so much for them)
                  The DFI Infinity is only , even if you aren't going for super high FSB you can't go wrong for that price.
                  [b]Also, if you were planing on getting the DFI in order to get a insane fsb, then I would also get memory rated above PC3200, so that you are not stressing more things than you have to.
                  I disagree with this statement. Always stick with the fastest timings possible (2-2-2-6 or 2-3-2-6). If you let these slack you are losing performance.

Many 3200/3500 memories overclock very well.

Comment

Im not exactly sure what lugs are...mine attaches with these clips because I dont have the holes on the motherboard to use the H plate. Its the Aquarius II system from thermaltake...

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                      The DFI Infinity is only , even if you aren't going for super high FSB you can't go wrong for that price.

I disagree with this statement. Always stick with the fastest timings possible (2-2-2-6 or 2-3-2-6). If you let these slack you are losing performance.

Many 3200/3500 memories overclock very well.
                      Well, I live in Australia and here the cheapest I have seen a DFI Infinity is $300 Aus, and I can get Abit NF7-S's for $145! Thats a big diffrence.
                      Also, what do you think PC3500 is? Yes, its higher than PC3200. It just seems silly to spend so much on an 'inexpensive' mobo, then skimp on the memory. Thats just me though, I don't like stressing more things than I have to- why overclock when its unnessacary?

Sancho, those 'clips' are my 'lugs'- just depends on what you call them, I've heard both but prefer lugs. If you have the option, I would get a board that has the mounting holes so you can use the H plate.

Comment

Well, I live in Australia and here the cheapest I have seen a DFI Infinity is 0 Aus, and I can get Abit NF7-S's for 5! Thats a big diffrence.
                        You were probably looking at the LanParty.

The Infinity is cheaper than the NF7-S by a few $.

Comment

Well, I live in Australia and here the cheapest I have seen a DFI Infinity is 0 Aus, and I can get Abit NF7-S's for 5! Thats a big diffrence.
                          I've yet to see the DFI Infinity advertised here in Australia (that's the LanParty ya lookin' at) but then DFI boards are a fairly rare breed here anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X