Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is killing my RAM?

Hi all,

I'm having what I think is quite an unusual problem.

Basically, every three to four weeks one stick of RAM in my pc dies (i.e. goes faulty), and the computer will refuse to post. The only way to get the computer running again is to remove the dead stick of RAM, and then the pc will run fine.

So I put a new stick in, and 4 weeks later, boom, it blows again!

I'm running 1066Mhz RAM at 1066Mhz, which should be fine, and I've tried running it at its recommended voltage of 2.2V and 1.8V, but neither stops the RAM from dying.

I've replaced my motherboard twice, I was using a gigabyte GA-p35-ds3r before (tried version 1.0 and version 2.0 with different bioses but both were the same). Now I'm using an ASUS Maximus Formula (as you can see from my specs below), but the problem keeps happening!

So, my theory is, some component that hasn't changed is somehow damaging the RAM... The only components I can think of which could be causing damage are:

- Graphics Card (8800 GTX)
    - Sound Card (X-fI)
    - PSU (Corsair 620W)
    - RAM (Crucial Ballistix)

It seems to me that it's always the new stick of RAM that dies, so my personal theory is maybe the other stick (that's never been changed) is somehow damaging the other stick? Is this even possible?

I'd really appreciate some opinions and advice about this.

Matteo

Asus Maximus Formula X38
    Q6600
    2 x 1 Gb Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 (BL12864AA1065)
    XFX Geforce 8800 GTX
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Corsair HW 620W Power Supply
    2 x Seagate Barracuda ES 500 Gb
    Vista Home Premium

Re: What is killing my RAM?

hmm strange one - whats the airflow like around the ram sims - are they overheating?
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

I had a theory it might be overheating, so I replaced my case with an antec 900, and now i've got some serious airflow. Which hasn't stopped the RAM blowing!

Comment

single sided Ballastix have been less than reliable the problem is well known all over the web....
        Take care,
        Rick
        GA EP35 DS3P w/ E6400 @ 3.2 Ghz, 2 x 2Gb G-Skill PC8000, XFX 9600GT, Corsair TX 650W

Comment

This is an old thread, I know.. but can you please tell me something ?

I have four modules of those (exact part number is BL12864AA1065.8FE5)

do you know the voltage they running at ? 2.0V or 2.2V ??? and why they are not reliable ?

I read something in the internet that Crucial told people to RMA those modules and take the newer ones.. Is this true ?

I must RMA em ??

Thank you and sorry for my bad english.. !
          http://dailyfix.gr
          Blogging for your daily needs!
          Geeks Revenge! Cause being a Geek in those days is SO COOL!

Comment

Those are the 2.2V rated ones, yes you can RMA them for the newer 2.0V sets.

Comment

Working...
            X