Clear All

• DDR2 800 not working in dual channel

My friend just bought a new AM2-based system. Here are his specs:

Mobo:
    MSI K9N-Platinum nForce 570 Ultra
    Proc:
    Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor core
    RAM:
    Corsair XMS2 Twin2X DDR2-800 PC6400 2X512 MiB (nVidia Recommended)
    GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon x1900GT 256MiB Lite-retail
    HDD:
    Western Digital Caviar RE16 250 GiB (WD2500YS)
    Display:
    LG 17" Flatron L1752T-SF

NEC AD-7170 DVD-RW
    Floppy
    Logitech LX3 Mouse

So, he asked me to put it all together for him, and so I did. The problem came up when I booted it the first time. I had installed the D-Bracket, and it said there was a problem with the RAM, which is why it didn't boot. I had installed the memory in a dual channel configutration, and it was installed properly. So I tried running with only one stick, in slot 1, and it worked. In BIOS, the RAM was automatically set to 800 MHz. I tried swapping the sticks, to see if there was a problem with only one of them, but it booted fine on both. I then tried booting in dual channel with the RAM set to 667 MHz. That worked as well. So, it seems dual channel doesn't work at 800 MHz, which is strange because if I remember correctly, only single-core AM2 processors lack support for DDR2-800. I figured there might be some problem with the BIOS, so I updated it to the latest version using LiveUpdate. It didn't help. Are there any specific settings I need to adjust?

Re: DDR2 800 not working in dual channel

Remember also, AMD puts the memory controller on the CPU

have you tried this CPU in a different board? different AM2 board? try that, see if it works in Dual Channel mode, if it doesn't at 800Mhz its the CPU, because the memory controller will be transfered to the new board.

If it does work, the board is faulty, might have a problem with the channels getting cross talk

Comment

Maybe you might need more Vdimm too to trun the higher speeds.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I don't know anyone else with an AM2 system, everyone I know is running s.939, so I won't be able to test it...
        I tried raising the VDIMM to 2.00 V, those sticks are rated at 1.90 V so I figured more wouldn't help much, to no avail. I tried setting all latencies manually, and set the command rate to 2T, didn't help either... I'm starting to worry that maybe I screwed up the hardware... some ESD or something. Would be the first time though... How probable is it that I happened to fry some circuts while putting this system together? Is there any definite way to determine the cause of this, other than swapping out the CPU?

Comment

Any ideas? How do I know which component is faulty?

Comment

It sure sounds like that mobo just doesn't like that ram. DDR2 seems to be very hit or miss with some systems. Since you can't test it, there is no way to be certain, but I would send it back and get something else and hope for the best.
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

OK, I guess it's just bad luck. I'll give him the options, either he'll send it back, or keep the ram as it is...

Comment

Originally posted by ifander
                OK, I guess it's just bad luck. I'll give him the options, either he'll send it back, or keep the ram as it is...
                Hopefully this reaches you BEFORE you send back the sticks...

If the system boots at all, then there should not be an issue with the other hardware....

I was thinking matching sticks in the correct banks?

normally the banks work in tandems with specific regards to HOW you place the memory in the system...

The best way to describe this is BANK 1 would be slots 1 and 3 and BANK 2 would be slots 2 and 4...
                EDIT: I looked at the MB online and saw how the BANKS are distinguished via color... so that is probably not it...

I hope this makes sense...

I will see if I can dig anything up online...

Originally posted by ifander
                My friend just bought a new AM2-based system. Here are his specs:

Mobo:MSI K9N-Platinum nForce 570 Ultra
                Proc:Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor core
                RAM:Corsair XMS2 Twin2X DDR2-800 PC6400 2X512 MiB (nVidia Recommended) <- I did not find anything even close to this part number on the corsair website (see below)
                GPU:Sapphire Radeon x1900GT 256MiB Lite-retail
                HDD:Western Digital Caviar RE16 250 GiB (WD2500YS)
                Display:LG 17" Flatron L1752T-SF
                NEC AD-7170 DVD-RW
                Floppy
                Logitech LX3 Mouse
                EDIT: I also found out that the product you mentioned for the memory while very good, does not appear to be paired together and sold in that way...

I would suggest buying a matched pair of TWINX I did not see a 1GB matched pair which is probably why he chose 1GB of 2x512MB modules... Look HERE for a listing of the matching sticks which he should choose from.

Here is a cut/paste from the link provided above:
                <TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 427.5pt; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=570 border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: black; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 0.1in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8" width=10> <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: black; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Part Number<o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: black; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Speed<o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: black; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Size<o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: black; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Latency<o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: black; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Package<o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: black; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Heat Spreader<o:p></o:p>
                </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                <o:p></o:p>
                <TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 427.5pt; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=570 border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc833; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 0.1in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8" width=10> <o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc833; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8"><o:p></o:p>
                TWIN2X1024A-6400<o:p></o:p>
                <o:p> </o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc833; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">XMS2-6400<o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc833; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">1024MB<o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc833; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">5-5-5-12<o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc833; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">2x240 DIMM<o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc833; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Black XMS2<o:p></o:p>
                </TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc895; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 0.1in; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8" width=10> <o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc895; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8"><o:p></o:p>
                TWIN2X1024-6400C4*<o:p></o:p>
                <o:p> </o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc895; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">XMS2-6400<o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc895; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">1024MB<o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc895; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">4-4-4-12<o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc895; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">2X240 DIMM<o:p></o:p>
                </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #ffc895; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8">Black XMS2<o:p></o:p>
                </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I hope this helps...

Mike A!
                Tampa, FL
                Last edited by mlakrid; 10-25-2006, 12:34 PM. Reason: more information

Comment

Working...
                X