No announcement yet.

server backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally we had the database on an NT4 server w/ all NT4 work stations running it locally - one of the first things we did was make sure all the WS's were runnning the same Windows & latest SP - we were getting a corruption message approx. once per month - most times repairing the corruption didn't result in any data loss - but if it did we had to rebuild the database from the last B/U or just use the last B/U as is.

We recently switched to a small dedicated Win2000 terminal server & have the WS's log into dumb sessions - so far weve had no corruption issues - although I must admit I find the whole W2K Server/terminal server licencing set up to be a real pain/semi-mystery - if you know of any good Win2000 Terminal Server reference resources - I would be forever in your debt.

teminal server is a much better enviroment for this app. - you don't have a 150MB database files flying all over the network & colliding at the server - much better/faster performance & we even set up a couple of old P90's as dumb terminals in the boardroom - the min. requirement to run the software locally is 300MHz

the Application is called JobBOSS - the company is based in Mn,USA - they have both an Access & SQL solution with the same/similar front end interface.

Where I work - we don't have anybody with formal IT training - i'ts mostly learn-by-doing, for myself and one other employee, so it can be frustrating at times

Comment

Originally posted by RDR

test be damned...

we have to do actual restores of several large database files - on a regular basis.

It seems a particular 3rd party interface for Access that we use is particularly succeptable to corruption - of course their support dept. blames our network - which is bullsh!t:
      I think we're just overworking Access & probably should be using SQL - not a cheap switch to make...damn Microshaft:shoot2:

what was I talking about again......:confused:
      How about MySQL or PostGreSQL running on Linux on the server side, still much cheaper than M$ SQL or Oracle.. But I guess what you end up with depends more on what the management people decide on not what the Technical Team wants..

Comment

Originally posted by RDR
        Originally we had the database on an NT4 server w/ all NT4 work stations running it locally - one of the first things we did was make sure all the WS's were runnning the same Windows & latest SP - we were getting a corruption message approx. once per month - most times repairing the corruption didn't result in any data loss - but if it did we had to rebuild the database from the last B/U or just use the last B/U as is.

We recently switched to a small dedicated Win2000 terminal server & have the WS's log into dumb sessions - so far weve had no corruption issues - although I must admit I find the whole W2K Server/terminal server licencing set up to be a real pain/semi-mystery - if you know of any good Win2000 Terminal Server reference resources - I would be forever in your debt.

teminal server is a much better enviroment for this app. - you don't have a 150MB database files flying all over the network & colliding at the server - much better/faster performance & we even set up a couple of old P90's as dumb terminals in the boardroom - the min. requirement to run the software locally is 300MHz

the Application is called JobBOSS - the company is based in Mn,USA - they have both an Access & SQL solution with the same/similar front end interface.

Where I work - we don't have anybody with formal IT training - i'ts mostly learn-by-doing, for myself and one other employee, so it can be frustrating at times
        I think the problem is that Win9x/NT4 terminal Server clients don't relinquish the licenses that they take up after the users logout of the Terminal Server. Since you are running 2000's terminal Server I know of one hotfix that can save you quite a few TS CALs.. go here for more info: http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q287/6/87.asp

for all i know you may have already applied this fix. There's also a min-FAQ on Microsoft's Knowledgebase which might have something that applies to your situation..

I had a hell of a time when we had Win9x clients using multiple licenses for each machine accessing the terminal server at work.. I had to call the Microsoft clearinghouse to buy licenses and just before they were going to get money out of my company the sales rep suggested we try something and we figured out that some Laptops were using multiple connection types to access the terminal Server from Win98 laptops [Thats one license for VPN connection, one for RAS, & one for LAN connection when the person was in the office..].

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalDD

How about MySQL or PostGreSQL running on Linux on the server side, still much cheaper than M$ SQL or Oracle.. But I guess what you end up with depends more on what the management people decide on not what the Technical Team wants..
          the 3rd party interface we use only works with MS - & I am Management - we don't have a technical team :D

Comment

we use ARCServe IT (soon to be ARCServe 2000 w00h00!!) with an Exabyte 230D DLT 35/70 library, 2.3TB storage, UltraWide Differential SCSI, phat phat phat phat phat, the unit was like 26 grand with tapes. we used it to backup everything from file servers to Exchange 5.5 servers, ARCServe IT and 2000 are quite capable of backing up SQL servers, (while onine) and even exchange databases (while online also) which are just a couple huge files that store all your mail within.
            [space saving sig]
            AMD 0wn3z j00!
            [/space saving sig]

Comment

Would JobBoss happen to be sold by Lawson Software?

Comment

Originally posted by Mephistopheles
                Would JobBoss happen to be sold by Lawson Software?
                Kewill Industries...

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard
                  2.3TB storage, UltraWide Differential SCSI,

you now officially have the most storage space
                  TT Original

Comment

Working...
                  X