Building File and Print and Firewall Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building File and Print and Firewall Server

Okay... So what I have in the basement is my old laptop, a 40GB USB HDD, and a cable modem.

The Laptop has: 20GB Hard Drive, 384MB ram, CDROM 24x, 10/100LAN, Atheros AR5005GS b/g wireless, Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz

The USB, well, has a 40GB hd.

The cable modem is a Scientific Atlanta Brand, with one USB slot and an Ethernet Out. Noticeably, It has a BATTERY light.

I also have a printer (Long Live Best Buy!) for just CND$ 20+ which is a HP DeskJet F4180. It has a flatbed scanner and a printer function.

My plan is this: Convert my old lappy to a File and Print and Firewall server, the Laptop's LAN will go to the cable modem, then its WiFi will spit out WPA-scrambled signals to my Acer Aspire 3050-1092 (A laptop like this for just CND$ 499? Best Buy is nice!).

When I want to, I print out my files wirelessly, and I go down to the basement to collect the prints. I also want to scan wirelessly.

Then, I can store my data to the 20GB HDD or the 40GB USB when I like to. Encryption will happen on a 5GB partition (maybe?) on the 20G.

The lappy will also protect me via its firewall.

Should I use the Smoothwall? I dont like to use XP.

Thanks!

Re: Building File and Print and Firewall Server

ok your not really supposed to that firewall is supposed to be separate, but oh well.

I'd start with smoothwall and then install the filesharing mod (I think there's a printer one as well)

Go with one of the premodded versions available in their forums

or in my sig :D

scanner could be an issue, but i'm sure there's a way around it
    Last edited by Kheldar; 08-30-2007, 06:17 PM.
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Re: Building File and Print and Firewall Server

Originally posted by Kheldar View Post
      ok your not really supposed to that firewall is supposed to be separate, but oh well.

I'd start with smoothwall and then install the filesharing mod (I think there's a printer one as well)

Go with one of the premodded versions available in their forums

or in my sig :D

scanner could be an issue, but i'm sure there's a way around it
      Thanks! I would be now researching.

Comment

Working...
      X