problems with java or activeX??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with java or activeX??

Don't know if I'm posting to the right forum but here goes. I had many security issues (spyware, trojans etc) and was given great help by the people at computercops.biz. Except now I can't access certain things I was able to in the past. For example, when i go to pogo.com and try to load a game it just hangs in the "loading game" and never installs the game. I may have a problem with Java or ActiveX but I've tried everything to correct this. Downloaded Sun Java but it wouldn't install. Hangs up at the copying files stage. Temporarily removed ad-aware, spybot search and destroy, spyblaster as I was told these could interfere with some games. Still no luck. I realize it's not a big deal that I can't play my favorite game anymore :cry: but it bothers me greatly that something has changed on my computer that I can't fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

looks like some kind of a IE security settings problem to me. have you looked that you have not set security settings to too high. try setting it to 'medium'. also, under IE advanced options set ActiveX controls and other controls to "prompt" rather than disabled.
    iirc sites that let you play these java games (eg: Yahoo!) download some ActiveX controls. i guess these are located in "Downloaded Progams" (correct me if i m wrong guys). try deleting them so that they are downloaded afresh. also clean your cache. also you can try reinstalling "Java Virtual Machine".

^ that is a link from pogo itself.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Wild tangent is spyware.

Comment

Originally posted by #Hashx#
        Wild tangent is spyware.
        That is relevant how? That link to WT is simply for the download of the Microsoft Virtual Machine

Comment

Are you using a firewall? Had a girlfriend who was having the same problem with pogo after I purged her system and added Zone Alarms firewall. Disabling the firewall worked for her. (Of course a disabled firewall don't do much good .. but she was happy).
          Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

if your running zone alarm, i found that disabling all the stuff under privacy actually solves some of the java and activex problems, as i had trouble loading java weblets and popups before.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
              Originally posted by #Hashx#
              Wild tangent is spyware.
              That is relevant how? That link to WT is simply for the download of the Microsoft Virtual Machine
              A heads-up as it is an ever pertenant, resident and otherwise wide spread epidemic.

Comment

ermm...i posted a link to JVM (Java Virtual Machine). this was distributed by Microsoft not Wild Tangent.
                Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                jabber : [email protected]
                =======================
                Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I should clarify, I wasen't discreditting your link or saying that it was spyware, however I just wanted people to know that if they were ever interested in playing games on wildtangents game channel that it contained spyware.

Noone has to tell me how dumb this is, as after I re-red the thread again it came to me that the link was only a download and not the Actual site itself.

So my bad

hmmm the shrug smiley dosen't work gues i'll have to use this one instead :rolleyes2

Comment

Working...
                  X