wireless network help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless network help!

Hi, I have just installed a Belkin cable/dsl wireless router. The main pc that has the cable connection is connected through wired to the router while my pc is conncted through a wireless card to the router. WHen doing network places to share HDD, my wireless pc can see the HDD of the wired pc, but the wired pc cant see my HDD though I have done the same thing. Also the PC's can not play LAN games unless the cable modem is on and internet working which is weird. The two computers can ping -t each other fine so Im lost !! Thanks for help.

Really good networking spot:

Troubleshooting advice, excellent forums to help just about any SOHO networker out

Comment

Thanks for that thought Im still lost with it all. Both of the pcs have file sharing enabled etc. PC 1 which is where cable internet was orginally is wired connected to the router and PC 2 is wireless connected. The wireless pc can see the wired one but the wired cant see the wireless.

Comment

Do you have a firewall installed on the wireless pc? I had the same problem, only on a fully cabled network.
        A could access B, but B could not access A. My problem was solved when I added A to the trusted zone in Zonealarm (on PC B)

Comment

Do you know what sorta option in the router is like a safe zone?

Comment

The router probably isn't the problem, Nosferatu's advice should only apply to software firewalls. Your sure both PCs have file sharing enabled (right-click HD icon, properties, sharing)? Make sure you have any software firewalls disabled entirely (for now, easier to disable than configure when fixing things). Go into services.msc (start, run, services.msc) and make sure Server and Workstation are both set to automatic. Set Network Location Awareness to automatic and Network Connections as well. Disable IPv6 Internet Connection Firewall and IPSEC Services. If your still having problems I guess you could try rebooting the router, which would change any settings that somehow got messed up. And BTW, what LAN games are you trying to play and what exactly is the problem? Can they not join each other's games or not see each other's games at all? For older games, you want UDP istead of IPX, if available. For example, Starcaft can be difficult to play over LAN unless it is updated to the latest version so it has UDP support. Also, can the Laptop access the other computer's files or does it just see the other computer?

Comment

Well games such as AVP and BF1942 only see each other on LAN, if the cable modem is on.

Comment

Wel I can't really do much with that knowlege. Kind of strange that the cable modem has to be turned on. You still choose LAN game or do you choose net games and have both comps in the same server? And why wouldn't the cable modem be on? :?: There's absolutely no reason to turn it off that I can think of. So far, I'm pretty sure this is something Windows-related that isn't set right rather than be something with the wireless card or router configuration. Try my steps and answer my other questions and my new ones and I'll see if I can help you any more.

Comment

I just downloaded a belkin manual for a wireless router. I don't know which one you've got, but 1 line on page 2 of the manual got my attention "The router has a built in, 4-port network switch to allow your WIRED computers to share printers, data and mp3 files....." So I am beginning to think it is not possible to access the HDD of the wireless pc.
                  Can you ping both pc's? I've just been browsing the net and it seems this is a common problem. Are you running xp on both machines? If so make very sure the firewall is off. It seems to cause more trouble than it's worth.
                  What happens when you type \\ipadresofwirelesspc\C$ in the windows explorer? Assuming you shared the C drive.

Comment

WOW i should go check that out. But if wireless can access wired, cant they do it other way around? Anyhoo I found this on my router settings. I was going through my router and found out MAC address filtering which says "This feature lets you set up a list of allowed clients. When you enable this feature, you must enter the MAC address of each client on your network to allow network access to each." Is that important?
                    To anwer your question both pc's can ping one another and windows xp firewall is disabled. Where exactly do i go to enter that command in and on what pc?
                    My Router is 802.11g Wireless DSL/Cable Gateway Router

Comment

Originally posted by Farscape
                      But if wireless can access wired, cant they do it other way around? Anyhoo I found this on my router settings.
                      I would think that as well, but computers always find a way to surprise you :)
                      The Mac addresses are a security option. If it is not enabled, than it won't cause any problems.
                      The "command" should be entered in the address bar of windows explorer.
                      Here are 2 links to forum discussions about the same problem.
                      http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...s.cfm?t=142115
                      http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...7015~mode=flat

If you still can't make it work it would be a good idea to send an email to Belkin if they have any ideas. Because my knowledge of wireless LAN is limited (or non-existent)

Comment

Yeah Ive sent one off to Belkin. They'll prolly know the answer.
                        EDIT: This is what they said regarding games "If the game in hosted in your network , you will need to open the ports in Virtual servers, while if the game is in some other network you will need to open the ports under application ports"
                        EDIT: I went into my Firewall > Virtual Servers and found that I can add specific games to my active worlds? Is this the game problem?

Comment

That could very well be the problem. I also saw that the router has an UPnP option. That is also something you could test.
                          I couldn't find it in the manual, but can your router create log files? If so, perhaps you check those right after you tried to access the other HDD or play a game. Also you could try to place both pc in the DMZ of your router. !DON'T! use that for normal use, since the pc will have no protection against hackers. It is just a way of determining where the problem is.

CU

Comment

YES! Woot! The Firewall> Virtual Servers is how you add ports for specifc games. I tried it for BF1942, turn off cable modem, and the pcs saw the game over LAN :):):):)

Comment

How's the file sharing working? Still can't see from the wired computer or is that fixed now too?

Comment

Working...
                              X