Another Wireless LAN/Broadband question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Wireless LAN/Broadband question

Hey all, I've done a search and read the FAQ but cannot find the answer... hey maybe I'm just thick!

I currently have Broad band that just plugs into the wall (like a LAN, it is like this as I live in an apartment block prewired for cable no modem required) and I have just bought a laptop (LG LS50-1) which I want to surf the net wirelessly..

I also purchased a Belkin "B" wireless net work card for my PC.

I can't get the things to talk and even when I think I have got it the net wont work!!! ggrgrgrgrrr

The setup I am trying to achieve is like the last one in the FAQ sticky at the top of this catagory.

MY main PC has 2 LAN cards (one wireless one normal). Normal connects to the internet Wireless connects to the Laptop...

My questions are : How can I ge them to talk to each other. How can I get the net on my Laptop...

Sorry for the long post but any help would be appreciated
    If I haven't provided enough info please let me know what I need to add.

Cheers

I just wanted to ad..

Both Machines are running XP.

I would prefer not to buy anything else but if I have to then I will.

If I need to change over the wireless card in the main PC I will. Once again prefer not to.

As a complete side issue it benchmarked @ 3000 in 2001SE is this good enough to run current games?

Cheers

Comment

Not too good with WiFi so Ill take up the second part.

I pull just over 4000 with my GF2mx440. Now your GF4 should beat mine. I have OCed mine, aswell i ran the benchmark at optimal settings (did a full batch run outputed to text files, then searched for the best score). But as for current games, you should be able to run all the games out now, however you will likely start to struggle with HL2 and Doom 3. Only game I have founr thus far to not run is X2 - The Threat. Other then that I can run anything with a lot (and i do mean a lot in some cases) of tweaking.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Only prob is my new Laptop pulls 3000. The desktop system in my Sig pulls about 11K or so!!! hehehhehe

To some up my main prob. I want to wirelessly network 2 pcs both with wireless cards and use the net (that is connected to a 2nd normal LAN card) on both PCs. Spending as little as possible!

Cheers

Comment

Ok after some intensive research on the net I have found out a couple of things...

What I am trying to do is link the PC and Laptop in Adhoc mode and then bridge the connections on the PC to get access to the net.

Other than the problems I'm having are there any obvious issues with doing this????

My first problem is even with the net disconnected I cannot get the PC and the laptop to "talk". They say they are connected and if I change something on the PC the Laptop soon realises this and changes to suit (eg change name of connection or similar) but I can transmit data or see files or anything.

Are there any guides or FAQ (in VERY basic english) on how to setup and test Adhoc mode???

Anyone???!?!?!

If this way doesn't want to work I was thinking the best thing I can do would be to keep the wireless card and get a router??? Can you get hardware firewalls and routers in one? any idea on price??

This that way is going to be full of pain then what would be the best way???

This is driving me crazy!!!

The wireless card built into the Laptop is on the chip I think (centrino) Its something like an Intel PRO LAN2100 wireless or soemthing... THe card in my PC is a Belkin "B" card..

Any help would be great.

Cheer
          :cheers:

Comment

A good networking site, I would recommend using the troubleshooting index first, then run through the forums. They have at least one forum dedicated to wireless

Comment

Working...
            X