wireless networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless networking

I'm thinking of setting up a wireless network between a few computers in my house. Only thing is though, all the gear is fairly expensive, especially if I want to go 54mbps (which would be nice). Looking around, heaps of companies are selling kits with a couple of PCI cards and a 4 port switch.

I was wondering, do I really need the switch, could I just have the PCI cards in each computer and let them transfer stuff directly. If this would work, what sort of limit is there on the number of computers that could be connected in this way.

Thanks
    Ed

You will need an access point for it to work. The computers can't just talk to each other like walkie-talkies. If you want to share broadband, get a wireless router/switch. You can wire it to one of the boxes so you won't need a wireless nic for that one. It has been my experience that 802.11b (the slower variety) is usually just fine for home use and (at least in the U.S.) there are some really good deals to be had on the hardware as the venders are pushing 802.11g right now.

Comment

i have been using the D=link dl-614+ router with d-link pci card for a long time and it is pretty fast. it runs at 22mps if desired and has good WEP support.

is also pretty good deal, around 90 dollar for the router and 65 buz for the pci cardl. (canadian dollars)

Comment

soz 2 disagree, but i share broadband to 2 other computers using no more than actiontec usb wireless adapters from dabs. just set up the network, then share your connecion. no need for all those fancy routers

: peace:

Comment

well, even cable isnt faster than 11mbps. so 802.11b wont slow down any downloads.
          As for the router. Well thats really a personal preference. I would get one, cuz its a lot easier to administer.

)( :)

Comment

You can choose a central point, like a router or Wireless Access Point, or you can just run the network 'ad hoc' (assuming the cards support that mode), which means they all talk to each other by themselves.

Comment

But...

If you run ad-hoc, what does that do to your security?

Wouldn't you have to be broadcasting your sid all over the place?

Comment

Originally posted by G Smith
                But...

If you run ad-hoc, what does that do to your security?

Wouldn't you have to be broadcasting your sid all over the place?
                As far as I know, you can still set it up using encryption and encryption keys...

Comment

thats correct. but w.o central point, distance between computers will be greatly limited.

Comment

whats the best 802.11g router out there now? do wireless routers lose there conenction alot due to interference? like cell phones etc.....

Comment

generally wireless is very good for surfing the net - even if it does lose the connection it'll rejoin before you notice.

As far as security goes for wireless - it isn't secure, sure you can make it marginally harder for somebody to get access but its not secure.

If you want a secure wireless network you'll need stuff like radius servers, ip security, mac address etc. the best option is to assume it isn't secure and make sure that your pc's on your network are secure
                      http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
                        thats correct. but w.o central point, distance between computers will be greatly limited.
                        yeah about 20 - 30 feet in the real world, and AP will cover the average house - single story.

A double story house has problems due to the way the signal is transmitted from the AP - to maximise output very little signal is sent up since thats a waste of signal, it is usually sent out horizontally

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                          As far as I know, you can still set it up using encryption and encryption keys...
                          yes you can. i've done this but as per my other post, its still not secure

Comment

if im gonna go wireless.....and i lets say i have a wireless router 802.11g ...do i need to get an extra airport?

Comment

Working...
                            X