Fastest Dial-Up Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest Dial-Up Download

What is the fastest possible download on a dialup connecton of 46.6kb/s in the USA....I thought it was around 10kb/s, but i wasnt sure.

Why don't you check your connection here:
    Bandwidth Place

Or:
    CNet Network Services

Or:
    PC PitStop

Comment

that cannot be right, I dload at around 7-9kb/s easily, but my friends P2P program. Shareaza displays dload speeds of 20kb/s or so.....and i didnt think that could be righ t on a 46.6 connecton. It cant can it?

Comment

Sometimes I see that the DL speed in a P2P program go up to 12, 20 or 40 KBytes/s, but only when resume or reconnect to the user, and it don't last to much.

Other case is that certain servers from universities, the DL speed is sometimes 12 o 15 KBytes/s (constant).

I guess it physically cannot be posible reach that speed (20KBytes/s) with conventional lines, maybe they have digital lines o two lines, or something else.

Comment

Well, I tried that P2P program about 10minutes ago, and it showed 25kb/s BUT it still took me 15min. to dload 5megs, I just need to get the proof to show my friend that it really isnt going that fast, and I think ive done it now

Comment

Also remember that most modems support real time compression, which means that when you are downloading a web page that is mainly text, you will easily hit speeds of 15 - 20 K, becuase text compresses ALOT. Things that are already compressed, images, zips, mp3's, only come down at your connect speed. So if you connect at 53.333 Kbps (maximum supported by the US phone system) divide that by 8, and you get 6.66 KB/second.

Comment

As zeradul was saying, some things are heavily compressed, so what you see coming in is not the amount of data that is being transferred.

Have a quick look through <a href="http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10174" target="_blank">this</a> thread.

Comment

and to throw another twist into the game 56k is the max under ideal settings that the modem can handle. the government has a cap on the real time bandwidth of a regular phone line in the US at 36k. the only eception to this rule is ISDN or DSL which is transferred differently on a line

Comment

Dont forget about the packets that are used for handshaking and other TCP/IP stuff which takes up some of your bandwidth as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X