Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be better for my server/gateway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be better for my server/gateway?

Which one of the these configs:

P3 450@553MHz
    256MB PC-133 SDRAM

OR

P3 450@553MHz
    384MB PC-100 SDRAM

Currently it has 256MB PC-133 , but I have another 128MB stick of PC-100. But by adding it I'd lose 33MHz off my RAM clock and it may effect my OC.

Keep in mind its a server/gateway running a stripped down Redhat Linux 7.3 setup , no GUI. The most intensive thing it does it support a CS now and again. Would I gain from the extra 128MB of RAM even though it would slow the rest down or should I stay with the faster RAM but less of it?

the 2nd one, with 384megs of RAM

Comment

Even tho it would bring the RAM speed down to PC-100?

Comment

i think that would still be better, even if it cut your overclock, as far as I know, the more RAM for a server, the better. But im no server expert, so i may be wrong

Comment

I would also go for the one with more RAM.

Comment

If it is going to run Linux, don't worry about the extra ram. Unless you are going to run a bloated firewall, or other software, you will never need the extra ram.

I personally would try to stick with the PC133, and since ram is so ridiculously cheap, pick up another 256 MB stick (PC133) for like 15$ USD

I might be splitting hairs, but a gateway needs to be quick (ram wise) I don't know how many computers are on your network, but if there are many being used at once, a gateway needs to be as quick and agile as possible. The extra performance from the OC'd processor isn't even as important as the fast ram in my opinion.

Comment

Comment

My firewall/gateways is a 386-16mhz Compaq in a slim case with 2 ISA NICs and 16 MB of RAM which I have 4 PCs and 2 laptops going through it to get on the internet.. Coyote Linux is cool, boots from a floppy.

Comment

Working...
                X