How do you free up system resources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you free up system resources?

I'm using Windows XP professional and got an error while running Kazaa stating that my system resources were low.

First step would be to get rid of Kazaa and replace it with Kazaa Lite http://doa2.host.sk/ . Use adaware http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ or spybot to remove all the garbarge that Kazaa leaves behind (around 90 odd hidden spy files last time I counted). If you want to keep your shared folder just remove it from Kazaa before uninstalling and then (after scanning for viruses) drop it into Kazaa Lite's Shared folder.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

how mush memory do you have and what is the size of your paging file?

to temporarily free up resources, close anything in the system tray that doesn't need to be running and open the Task Manager and close any non-essential Processes and Applications

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
        how mush memory do you have and what is the size of your paging file?

to temporarily free up resources, close anything in the system tray that doesn't need to be running and open the Task Manager and close any non-essential Processes and Applications

1024 MB Ram. I'll try shutting everything down that I can by disabling it in msconfig, unless you suggest otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieDawg
          First step would be to get rid of Kazaa and replace it with Kazaa Lite http://doa2.host.sk/ . Use adaware http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ or spybot to remove all the garbarge that Kazaa leaves behind (around 90 odd hidden spy files last time I counted). If you want to keep your shared folder just remove it from Kazaa before uninstalling and then (after scanning for viruses) drop it into Kazaa Lite's Shared folder.
          I've heard Kazaa Lite was better on other forums also. Maybe I'll check it out. 90 hidden files! (WOW!)

Comment

KaZaa is full of all sorts of **** so at least drop it for KaZaa Lite.

Comment

Originally posted by Onebadass
              1024 MB Ram. I'll try shutting everything down that I can by disabling it in msconfig, unless you suggest otherwise.
              a gig of RAM is plenty....

just dump KaZaA for K++ or Kazaa lite and you should be fine

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
                a gig of RAM is plenty....

just dump KaZaA for K++ or Kazaa lite and you should be fine

Whats K++?:shrug:

Comment

it's just a slightly more-modified version of Kazaa Lite

Comment

i thought K++ and kazaa light = same thing

Comment

it has a few extra features, but it aint nothing to get excited about

they are basically 2 different versions of the same thing

Comment

getting back to the thread topic. that is not suppose to happen in xp. kazaa must have some serious problems. are you using sp1 cuz m$ in their wisdom reworked silicon graphics memory manager from xp and balled it up again.

the best music p2p i found is winmx
                        the best for all other is direct connect from
                        Actualté Finances, Santé, High-Tech sur Internet !

Comment

Working...
                        X