No announcement yet.

Athlon questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, RAID is disabled in the BIOS under one of the tabs (off hand i dont know) and i try to get ppl familiar with using the BIOS to adjust most everything they can w/o cracking the case.

You really should just go into the BIOS and look at everything to make yourself familiar with it. You'll find the RAID setting. For the most part it doesnt need to be turned off unless your using PCI slot 5 or you want the 3secs faster boot time that the RAID takes (see the press ctrl H page that loads up as part of the RAID BIOS, that takes up some boot time)

What it think might have been the prob is the VIA 4in1's YOU ALWAYS WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU GOT THEM 4in1's. I know its an AMD chipset and it doesnt use all of the drivers in the 4in1's, but install them anyway. They should be on your ABIT cd, so that is clue No.1 that the board wants 'em.

Comment

i know that i can disable RAID from bios, but i looked in all the tabs and didnt see it, but i might have missed it.
      I dont care about the extra 5sec of boot, as my machine runs for 2weeks at a time w/o any problems or me shutting it down. I was hoping that you would know it, thats why i asked. I am glad i did, because i had a modem installed into slot5 and the machine would lock up when installing dirvers for it or trying to dial, after switching slots its runnin' smooooooot like baby's bottom.
      I think that 4in1s and bios helped the stability too. Tommorow i will try to get the latest directx and than leave it alone w/ SETI.

But your settings were very helpful!! so thank you for that. I will leave memory well enough alone for the time being as i got to get the RH8 box up and runnin. :thumb:

Comment

Go ahead and set mem timings under Adv Chip to ultra, but under Adv Chip > Chip Driving id leave that at auto. Have fun, my boss and i have both had ours since the first week they came out and they are still in out main rigs.:thumb:

Comment

This is my main rig, but i need a rh8 box for a linux+ class that im taking. Its 2 weeks in and i still cant get my damn box to install it!
          So thats why this is going to be left alone w. SETI. Maybe use it now and again to go online. but the other one is priority to have up and running!

Comment

BTW SETI runs much quicker with faster FSB and memory speeds. :devil win

Comment

Doesnt everything? :confused:
              But that is the lure of the dark side now isnt it...

EDIT
              btw Kane, i was reading one of your top posts, and you can put any Athlon you want in the KG7, except the new 333FSB cores wont run at 333 unless you OC the board too (very easy if you remove some PCI cards) and the Barton cores due out in April wont work without a BIOS flash, which Abit wont make cause the KG7 is technically not a 333FSB board. So your stuck at 2800+ minus some PCI cards (the ones that cant handle a PCI OC) which isnt really that bad if all your doing is internet... so buy a damn good NIC and when you OC the FSB to 333 to handle a 2400-2800 you can OC the NIC and get a 2% faster connection:)

Comment

In actual fact ya don't have to push the CPU to higher speeds but by droppin' the multiplier and raisin' the FSB and memory timings large gains can be made. :rolleyes2

But yes raisin' the CPU's sped as well helps too. :devil win
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

But the only way to unlock a XP is by way of nForce2 sans soldering. And its not like the CPU cant handle a higher FSB clock at stock multiplier, in fact with most cooling solutions i find that most of our backdoor (no warranty) customers problems are a nasty 33MHz PCI bus only NIC. To get a real over**** i find the best way is to loose all cards, go onboard sound (Southbridge compliant, not PCI bus to southbridge) and get a peripheral USB Network interface.

Comment

OK, I found the setting in BIOS where to disable RAID
                    its in Integrated Periph==>ATA100RAID IDE Controller!

BTW for time being this thing is good enough. Will try to get one of dual socketA boards to play with (if i get the CompUSA job) and than will go all out! But running CL2 on memory vs CL2.5 did make a big difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X