Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [size=6
    JediAgent[/size]]
    Which is why i made it clear that i have the same board... if newbs cant understand the flow of the conversation to fix their prob.. ill give them your ICQ again. :D
    Then you won't live long. :flames:

Nothin' worse than n00bs that can't listen or read, except for ppl who pass them on to me.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
      kane2g[/size]]
      What i am getting is XP2000+, Volcano 7+ (thanks Wiggo), and some PC2100 256MB, and that is 0 or about 200 total. And i still its too expensive. If there were only a way to get it for cheaper. hehe
      OK im gonna shut up now.
      Ya need PC2700 memory for that setup to perform properly. Ya can use PC2100 but the CPU will use all of that but runnin' the PC2700 will allow the memory to run faster than the CPU and give bandwidth for UDMA/DMA hardware to access memory without havin' to push the CPU out of the way to get at it. ;)

Comment

the specs say its 1600 or 2100. it doesnt mention 2700.
        hey Jedi what do you use??
        If 2700 works, that its all good with me.

Comment

This is where I'm not all that sure with the AMD chipset as I've used VIA chipsets up until recently (nForce2) but both these can run the memory 33MHz faster than the FSB which allows full bandwith for the CPU and have some left over for hardware access. I'm almost sure that this is still the case with the AMD chipset (but maybe restricted to the 200DDR FSB CPU's) though that shouldn't stop ya from usin' PC2700 as I'm runnin' PC3200 in mobo's that "Only Officially" support PC2700. :devil win

Comment

You can use any speed you want (thou i wouldnt recommend 1600) as it will just set it to the FSB on the cpu. I use Corsair XMS2400 and it OC's nicely, but it is still auto set at 133 (266DDR). The overhead is simply for faster timings. With any 2700 stick youll be able to setup lightning quick Cas timings n such (email me if you need help with those as there are between 7 and 9 memory timing settings) The AMD 761 chipset being the first real DDR chipset, it doesnt allow asynchronous FSB to memory sppeds, so you cant set the FSB to 266 and the memory to 300, like in the VIA chipsets, although there really is no gain to that as Wiggo said (LIAR!) because that extra speed only helps stuff on the northbridge, and the UDMA/ATA/DMA stuff is attached to the southbridge. Many benchmanks will tell you the same.

So my recommendation, get a brand name standard 2700 stick at a good price to save money (not some super duper 2700 stick), and use the overhead for memory timings. On that board, memory timings and BIOS revisions are very important to max speed. I myself have seen a good noticeable boost simply by aggressive timings, so have fun and by sure to go easy on the plastic socket levar if you got that one.

Comment

Cool, i will get the 2700 than.
              I cant wait for it all to get here. If i need help i will definetly email you for some tweaking/troubleshooting.

BTW its soo nice that the forums and the whole TT site is back

Comment

I want to see what happens to him when he stops video DMA access. :D

Comment

I finally broke down and pulled out the wallet:
                  Thermaltake Volcano 7+
                  AMD Athlon XP2000+ T/BRED Processor
                  Kingston PC2700 333MHZ DDR 256MB
                  Kingwin KWI-350W (hope its good enough)

Mobo is getting here tommorow, so no sense in waiting. I still be broke in a month.
                  :D

Comment

Video DMA access is an AGP and thus Northbridge performance issue. So, yes it does help that. I mainly argues againt IDE/DMA which is what kane may have interpreted. Sorry Wiggo.

Comment

finally everything arrived!!!
                      but my comp isn't doing so well. it hangs often when in windows.
                      its got
                      kg7-raid
                      xp2000+
                      volcano 7+
                      256mb pc3000 (hyperX) memory
                      xp pro

in bios thee are some settings that i didn't play with, like
                      multiplier, fsb, fsb rate (cpu/sdram/pci), super bypass wait state
                      i chose xp1500(133), but in xp it shows up as 1.668GHz, which seems right as xp2000+

i didnt flash the bios yet, i need to check what ver im running.
                      so jedi what are your settings????
                      thanks

Comment

Update the BIOS, atleast the 5W. Preferably the newest one.

Under SoftMenuIII

User Define
                        x(multiplier number, make sure its right!)
                        4:4:1
                        Disabled

Default, or VMem increase for OC'ing (which i havent done in awhile, so tinker)

Under Advanced BIOS

Shadows On (there are like 7 of 'em)

Under Adv Chipset
                        Enabled xTop 3

Superbypass Enabled
                        Cas 2
                        SB Wait 0
                        Ultra

Disable the RAID contr if not used.
                        Under Adv Chip > Chipset Driving > Auto everything (this is the really powerful stuff, im nmot quite sure what everything means so your gonna have to tinker. We can talk later too if you want)

Other wise, make sure not to put anything in PCI slot 5 if you have a RAID array or it will crash it. Make sure you got your 4in1's and have fun keeping up with most KT333/KT400 boards, some will smoke ya thou. :thumb:

Comment

i dl the latest bios, but how do i make floppy bootable?
                          sys a: and than add files???
                          also how to disable RAID, i've looked for the option but couldnt find it.

Its been crunchin seti pretty good (about3 hrs w. failsafe defaults loaded in bios), but if i try to use it to do anything its not stable. but if i leave it alone its good for seti.

Comment

i just flashed the bios to the newest one.
                            I was suprised to see abit include a .bat file that made this thing easy. i had to type all those switches w. my other boards. I start to like abit more and more.
                            4in1s are on the way in so i will do that as soon as i can.

BTW sys a: didnt work, so i just went and formated the disk checking the ms-dos tab.

still have raid enabled. how do i turn it off?

wait i found a good faq for kg7, here's the link

Comment

Hey thanks JediAgent
                              After putting in 4in1s, flashing bios and entering your settings, this thing is crusin..

Comment

raid can usually be disabled by a jumper or in the bios

Comment

Working...
                                X