new system, can't install anything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new system, can't install anything

I've got a really strange problem. I've just build a new system, and when i've tried to install the drivers that came with the mainbord or windows (xp and 98). But in dos-mode, whenever i trie to open something from cd-rom ( directory or files) the system hangs, the only thing to do then is ctrl+alt+del, or sometimes that doesn't even work. From a floppy it gives no problems, i can load everything i want from a floppy.
    I've got 2 cd drives, tried them both seperatly, or together and switched master and slave: nothing
    In another system, they work fine.
    i've used different drivers for them: nothing

Can this be a problem in the bios? Something wrong with the mainboard? an incompatibility of somekind? I really don't know anymore?

please help

OK, I'm not sure what you have done, but I'm guessing you haven't installed Windows:?:
    Sorry, but I found your post confusing.
    First install Windows, then install drivers - beginning with your chipset drivers. Install those drivers within Windows, not DOS.

Umm, was that helpful?

Note, with Windows 98 when installing Windows I have to remove the sound hookup between the CD-Rom and the sound card, or at times the CD-ROM Drive will lock up the system. After Windows is installed I can re-connect the sound cable and all is fine.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I cannot install windows, because it doesn't come on floppy :rolleyes:

I'll trie to disconnect the audio cable

Comment

nope, didn't work, once i insert a cd, it takes 5 to 20 sec and the system doesn't respond to anything (everything else works).

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Comment

OK, back to basics here

1. make sure that the hard-drive is on the Primary IDE channel and is configured as Master - additionaly it is best if it connects to the IDE connector at the end of the ribbon cable.

2. The CD-ROM should be configured as Slave on the Primary IDE channel OR Master on the Secondary channel.

3.In the BIOS set the Primary Master as reccomended by the Harddrive manufacturer --- or use the auto configure utility.
          The CD- ROM should be set to auto.

4. The boot order for the drives should be either A:-CDROM-C: or A:-C:-CDROM

5. You will need a bootdisk that will install the CD-ROM drivers. Typically a Windows 98 disk works well. Place the bootdisk in the floppy and then power up the computer.

These are general suggestions based on a typical configuration. Any additional details regarding your system may be helpful.
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I cannot install windows, because it doesn't come on floppy
            What OS? If you are installing 98, set the floppy to primary boot device (in the bios), and then insert your boot disk. That will load the CD-rom drivers you need

If you are installing XP, set the CD-rom to primary boot device, and pop in the CD.

Comment

I tried it all, still the same problem.

I want to install windows xp, but i will already be glad if i can install 98. But like i said before, the system locks up everytime i open a cd. sometimes i can open the directory from the cd, but after the next dos promp i can't type or do anything, it's all locked up.
              It has also happened when i open the help file from the bootdisk, i can read it and everything but when i go back to the dos prompt, system frozen !

But now i have an additional problem:
              Normally i can see in the bios information about cpu temp, case temp, voltages, and others but now its gone, the screen is just empty :confused:

system info: see sig

hd is primary master
              cd-rom secondary master (tried primary slave to)
              tried dvd secondary master and slave to

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Comment

Well, the only other idea that can start finding problems is swapping out anything you can into another computer to make sure it works...

Good Luck... I mean it could be as simple as a crappy DVD drive..

Comment

You keep saying when you "open" the CD... If you leave the Windows CD in the drive and reboot, there is an auto run feature. As was said before make sure primary boot device is set to "CDROM" in the BIOS. If your drive is hooked up properly (cables + power) then It should prompt you as to whether you want to boot from the CD or the harddisk - choose cdrom and follow prompts to install. If you are not being prompted to boot from the CD than check your setup. Try using either your DVD OR cdrom drive in turn, but not together just in case one is defective. Try a new IDE cable. Try switching from IDE1 to IDE2 or vice versa. :hammer:

If after all that, it still doesn't work, it may be a motherboard issue. :(

Good Luck
                  JM:afro:
                  Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

did it all, nothing works, when i trie to boot directly from the cd, it works for a few seconds, then it freezes.

but now i can give some additional info:

When i start up the system after it has been down for a while (cold) it works much longer after using a cd, maybe a minute or so, but only when using a cd-rom, not with floppy, not with the harddisk, nothing.
                    i've unhooked everything, but the cd drive, still the same

i'm guessing to it's the mainbord.

Comment

I started again from scratch, and now the cd drive works but when i trie to install windows 98, i allways get different errors:

SUWIN caused a general protection fault in module VGA.DRV at 0001:2347

or

in module <unknown> 047f:02fbi8 SUWIN will close

or

in module KRNL.EXE at 0001:0c4b

or the system freezes during the installation process

SUWIN caused a general protection fault in module VGA.DRV at 0001:2347

of

in module <unknown> 047f:02fbi8 SUWIN will close

of

in module KRNL.EXE at 0001:0c4b

again a format c and the next error occured in dos:

standard mode: bad fault in ms-dos extender.
                      fault : 000d stack dump:030c 0000 0070
                      raw fault frame: ec=0000 ip=0065 cs=0053 fl=3292 sp=233e ss=004b

someone has an idea, and what is SUWIN?:confused:

Comment

SUWIN is an executable that is "SetUpWindows" basically.

Have you formatted using the /s switch? If not, do so in order for Windows to write the neccesary files to boot the machine.

Also you might check to ensure your BIOS has no built-in AV feature running at the time of install.

OK, we've got the error messages, what you really need is the error message number ---- as in SU####.

Here's a link to a MSKB article #Q129971 that may help you resolve the issue.

Additionally a search for SUWIN on Google will bring up several pages that may be helpful in resolving the matter.

Also MSKB article #Q224836 may be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                        X