Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a DVD+R disk be converted to a DVD-R disk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a DVD+R disk be converted to a DVD-R disk?

I have what may be the stupidest question of the year or century, but I'd like to find out so here goes.

I have a DVD+R video disk that I want to play in my TV surround sound system DVD player. The TV's DVD "player" will only play DVD-R formated DVD's according to the manufacturer. It's an older system. These days I think you can buy players that will play all formats.

So, my DVD+R disk won't play at all in my player. It will play on my computer using my Lite-On DVD RW but not in my player that's hooked to my large screen TV.

So, my question is this: Is there any way to "convert" a DVD+R formated disk to a DVD-R disk?

Could I download the contents of the DVD+R disk to my computer's hard drive then turn around and burn it in DVD-R format using my lite-on dvd burner? I don't even know if my Lite-On DVD RW SHW-160P6S burner will allow me to burn it in the DVD-R format.

I don't know if anything like this is possible but I wanted to ask you guys because I know if anyone knows, you do.

Thank you, I appreciate your comments (good and bad).

Re: Can a DVD+R disk be converted to a DVD-R disk?

As long as your disk doesn't have any encryption on it you should be able to make a DVD-R from your DVD+R disk with no problems using almost any DVD copy program.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

If it has copyright protection, then you need the proper program to do that. If it is not copyright protected, any DVD burning software will make you a perfect copy.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Your DVD burner supports both (-) and (+) DVDs. So, all you have to do is rip your DVD+R movie to your computer then burn it to a DVD-R blank. The (-) and (+) refers to two different format types of DVDs

Comment

I also have the same problem with the DVD-R discs. My recorder will not record on a + disc so I recored off the tv onto my recorder only the - discs. These -discs will not play on my computer at all. I have a dvd burner and player on my computer but cannot get the dvd-r to play in order for me to record it on a dvd+r. I have recorded some dvd-r discs for some of my friends and they will not play in their player and it is a new player so should be up to date. Is there maybe a dvd-r burner (external) that I could attach to my computer to convert these discs into dvd+r. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comment

betlou have you or anyone else been able to play the disks that you have burned? I'm wondering if they will work with anything or if they are simply not burned properly. The reason I ask is because most modern DVD players will play nearly any DVD format.

As for getting a burner that will handle both + and - formats: That is not a problem. Nearly all modern DVD burners will support both of those formats. I'd probably be looking at replaceing the internal burner that you now have (or just adding a second burner) rather than using an external burner simply because internal burners are usually cheaper and probably faster.
            Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Thanks PrairieDawg for answering my inquiry so soon. Yes I can replay the disc in the recorder that I record them in and that is all. I have a fairly new HP computer and it has DVD-ROM printed on the front of it but it will not play the disc. It doesn't recognize it and keeps saying to insert a disc in the drive. The recorder connected to my tv will play both +and - but it won't record on a +. Thanks for your help.

Comment

it may depend on the blank media you are using. some dvd drives, no matter how up to date the firmware is, will not like new/cheap brands of disks. thats why i get annoyed at having to pay a lot for quality disks for my POS drive.

Comment

The brand I have been using is HP invent. I thought that would be a good brand but maybe that is the problem, will try another brand and see what happens. thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X