PC restarting during Battlefield 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC restarting during Battlefield 2

Hey, I just rebuilt my PC and I have gotten 3 restarts during Battlefield 2 demo in only a few hours play. Here are my specs. The only thing I can think of is that I dont have enough power, or I have the GPU power hooked up wrong.

Here are my specs.

AMD Athalon 64 3700+San Diego
    ASRock 939SLI32-eSATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1697 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    EVGA Geforce 6800 GS PCI_E factory OC to 490mhz
    400watt power supply
    DVD player, CD WRiter, Zip drive, Floppy drive, and usb card reader are all connected

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

Re: PC restarting during Battlefield 2

well your PSU should be find in handling all that but if you have a cheap PSU it may not work up to its true out put power rating. And another thing you have alot of things running off your PSU plus your OCing your video card also yuor processor iam guess. So all together thats alot of power your computer is sucking from your PSU. Another thing is that your CPU or GPU or memory can be getting very hot while PLaying BF2 which can cause a automatic restart so it wount damage parts.

Comment

Psu would be the first place to look as Burton has stated, amps on the 12v rail/s is what to look for.

Also disable auto restart on system failure and see what the error code is on the blue screen

Right click on My Computer
      Click on the Advanced tab
      Go to the last set that says Startup and Recovery
      Click on Settings
      Remove the check mark from the Automatically Restart option in the System Failure box
      E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

+12V=18a -12V=1.0A is what the 12v reads on the psu. Also, I the video card is factory OCed and I have not OCed anything else yet. I wanted to see how things run first. And I will also try manually setting my ram timings. Oh yeah, here are the specs for my ram.

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail 2.5-3-3-6 Voltage 2.5V-2.7V

I dont use my Zip drive or floppy very much. Will it help to disconnect these even though they are not in use? Also, is there a setting in bios to change the voltage that might help. I will first try what Anzac says and see what the error is. Will this put my parts at rish though? If I dont receive any blue screen error, should I just forget about it?

Comment

That PSU is not up to the task at all. You should have a minimum 25A on the 12V+ rail. Try disconnecting the unused stuff first to see if it helps.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate
          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
            That PSU is not up to the task at all. You should have a minimum 25A on the 12V+ rail. Try disconnecting the unused stuff first to see if it helps.
            I concur unreservedly ......... well nearly ........... don't bother pi**ing around unpluggin sh*t, you need a better psu ......... end of story
            Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 03-18-2006, 04:25 PM.
            E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

i would agree with anzac also, A good psu is ULTRA everything is running great and they have easy connection for people who dont know what they are doing and also a cleaner look in your case.

Comment

jsut dont go for a cheap psu either i made that mistake and it set my computer on fire. IT wreck my case an my mobo it sucked.

Comment

Wow, thanks guys I guess thats the problem. So the wattage isnt the problem, its the volts. You suggest Ultra? I have never really looked at the specs for psu's other than the wattage. What specs should I look for, and can I get this for under $50?

Also note that I do plan on using SLI GPU's in the future.

Ane one more thing, until I can afford one (i did just rebuild the thing!), will unplugging the Zip, Floppy, and even the card reader help at all?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

There's a thermaltake 500W ATX12V V2.0, it "should" run an sli setup. For $50 or under, they have one that will suit your needs as well. I think it's a 430W w/ 18A on the 12V rail...which is just fine.

I half-heartedly agree with casecutter on the 25A 12V, but that isn't really the case. It's how well your psu can constantly put out the power, not the max power it can put out. I use to run a 7800GT w/ an Athlon 3000 using a 420W psu w/ 18A 12V. None the less, a good power supply with a high rating on the 12V rail(s) is a key to look for. Also its effeciency. 70~75% will probably cut it, though cutting close to the wire.

Comment

Originally posted by eat@joes
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153028

There's a thermaltake 500W ATX12V V2.0, it "should" run an sli setup.
                      Maybe SLId 6600GTs or 6800GSs. A couple of 6800Us or anything current-gen will tear that apart.

Under $50 from a reputable company isn't doable unless you get something used. Here's the cheapest PSU on Newegg I would consider acceptable for that system:

Comment

hey- although im not disagreeing with people, its worth noting that everybody so far has recommended psus that are above the minimum that nvidia and ati have recommended. surely a 500w psu would power anything at all, if it had decent rails.

saying that, though, my psu is 400w with a single 17a rail, powering a good system (tho just midrange now) and ive had problems with it, but stability progs run fine and i doubt its the psu.

Comment

Wattage is not the way to measure how well a PSU can do. It is all about the amps on the rail(s) and the efficiency. A cheap 500W PSU with a low (under 20A) 12V+ rail is just not going to power an overclocked system with any margain of safety or reliability. Noname PSU's tend to have horrible efficiency and that 500W rating is really only 350-400W at best due to the voltage loss with heat. Only decent name brand PSU's should be used in a system that is overclocking or being stressed. I mean really, people spend $1000+ on a new system, then use a $25 power supply. How smart is that? And I'll say this. If that cheapass power supply blows out, and they always do when pushed too hard, they will take out your CPU, ram, video cards, and whatever else they can get their hands on. So, if you want to run a substandard power supply, that is your risk to take. Personally, I never recommend a cheap unit and think that it is extremely foolishof anyone to recommend a cheap unit.
                          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                          PC P&C 500W PSU
                          2TB Seagate
                          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

whatever. its everyones own risk (and mine too)

Comment

Well, Im not about to get a cheap PSu. I was going to get one for around 50 ot 60 bucks, which I dont think is cheap. I just want to make sure I still dont have the same restarting problems. And by the way, it restarts during anything, not just playing games. I am not overclocking anything either. The 6800 GS is factory OCed and thats it. I want the system running stable before I even think about overclocking it.

I bought the case with the power supply before I rebuild the system and I only looked at the wattage. Of everything in my system, the only things I've cheaped out on are the disc drives that I have transported from other systems. As far as the psu I thought 400 watts was all I needed. Guess I was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X