No announcement yet.

Need Advice Re: Random lockups & Optimal WinXP installat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're pretty much right on except for your understanding of the second partition.

First off, you don't HAVE to make both partitions before you install Windows 98 but you can if you want. No big deal.

As for the second partition, yes you install an OS there, but NOT Windows 98 again.

Your Windows XP CD, being the upgrade version DOES NOT MEAN you have to install it over a previous version of Windows. All an "upgrade version" of an OS means is that you have to have the CD of a previous Windows OS.

So instead of installing Windows 98 again on the second (D) partition, and then running XP setup from within that 98 OS in order to install XP overit, just start the setup program of your XP CD (by making your CD-Rom first in the boot order of course) and choose to install it in the second empty partition that you made earlier. There WILL be an option within the XP setup asking you which partition you want to install it on.

Finally, EVEN THOUGH it is an upgrade version of Windows XP, there will be a point where it asks you to insert the CD of a previous Windows OS. At that point, pop in your 98 CD, let the setup program chew on it for 10 seconds, and then it will allow you to continue to install a FRESH installation of XP.

Never EVER install a newer Windows OS ON TOP OF an older version of Windows, i. e. never do what you were planning to do; installing Windows 98 just so you could immediately install Windows XP on top of it. TRUST ME. Oh, the things I've seen, the nightmares I've had, the migranes I've endured....*collapses into fetal position and starts shivering*

-The Fiercest
    "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger... unless it cripples you" - Unknown Author

Comment

So let me get this straight, even though I have an upgrade version, I can partition the drive using my win 98 boot disk, put my cd as the first load device and load XP from that?

Out of the three times I have attempted to install XP over 98 it has only succeeded once; The other two times ended up in failure with me throwing breaking **** :evil:

My current plan as of now (pick out any foulisy):
      1. Partion Drives
      2. Load 98 onto 120 gig ide
      3. Set cd as first load device
      4. Install XP on to my 74 gig sata without going through Windows since it has caused me soo much trouble in the past

Comment

Edit: You may want to skip down a bit.

Pretty much.

If this is your only computer, and you want to be really safe, you can download a version of Knoppix. Knoppix is a Linux distrobution that runs off CD without touching your hard drive. The point is, with it you can go online and get more help. This is completely unneccessary if you have another computer. If not, it's really easy to use. Download it at http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html and burn to a CD. Get an ISO to burn it to CD in the easiest way possible (many CD burning programs can do it). You boot off it and type knoppix when asked. You can use the file manager that comes with it (icon on desktop) to access the Internet or download Mozilla (automatically). There's nothing to be done but burn it and run it.
        Again, that's only if you want to be really, really safe (since you seem to be double-checking on something that is extremely easy). I haven't encountered many systems that wouldn't install 98 or XP, and none that have problems with both.

After your done, first download and install chipset drivers for both operating systems. Then install DirectX (go search on the MS web site). Finally, download and install video drivers for both OSs. AFter that, you can make any more partitions that you want. I suggest a 3GB FAT32 (only choice, actually) for 98, a 6GB FAT32 for XP, and up to about 35 GB FAT32 for applications. The rest can be NTFS (make the apps partition smaller if neccessary). To access your NTFS drive from 98, download NTFS for Windows 98 from http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...tfswin98.shtml. After that, go to the thread in the Windows forum called "[98 Tweaks]." Follow all of the instructions there, particularly my long thread.

I hope I didn't make this sound too complicated. It should only take a few hours, depending on the computer, and is fairly simple. You should notice better performance in most applications run under 98 than those run under XP. I use 98 for most games, and its neccessary for some older ones. I think you'll be quite pleased once you have it setup. :D :wink:

Edit: ohhhh, I took too long....

I would strongly suggest you put the three FAT32 partitions onto your SATA. Use them for applications (including games), Windows 98, and Windows XP. Use the IDE for whatever you want. If you need more than about 60GB for programs, have a single FAT32 partition on it. Otherwise, format the entire drive in NTFS and use it for files.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I've done this before, I just don't want to f*&K up.
          From the sounds of things, using the 3 gig for 98, the 6 gig for XP and the rest for programs sounds good. I can just use the 120 for media storage since songs and movies don't demand as fast of an access time

I need 98 to run Wolfenstien and Doom...and if the games run faster on 98, i may run them from there too, using XP only for internet and Office work (I take it thats XP's fourtea?)

I have heard some say that when they do such a thing that they have trouble running programs on the OS they did not load the program on (i.e. having troubles running office XP through 98 or running Age of Empires through XP). Does this happen and is there a way to remedy it?

Yeah, I know I'm asking a lot of Q's, but I want to get them out of the way now so I can hit it and go when I get my computer in (Thursday...I will be a happy man :D ).

Comment

Man I saw your 98 tweak reply...you weren't lying, my computer is missing all sorts of drivers (namely mouse, video, and pci bridge). You say all these drivers will be in my 98 cd, and where do I get winrAR?

Please tell me XP doesn't have all these wholes in it; if it does, I'm going to be down right pissed off. Otherwise, I got my plan down and I'm ready for the stuff to come in.

The more I talk to you people, the more I realize I don't know as much about computers as I thought I did. :(

Oh yeah one more thing, the only boot disk I have is a Windows 98 boot disk. Will that be able to do a NTSF partition or do I have to go download an XP boot disk?

Comment

You shouldn't need Winrar, you should just be able to open cabs inside Explorer. However, WinRar or 7-Zip would make things easier, argualbe:
              WinRAR provides the full RAR and ZIP file support, can decompress CAB, GZIP and other archive formats

, archiver, compression, zip, best, compress, high, ratio, free, gnu, lgpl, unzip, far, win32, 7zip, long, file, names

Don't worry, XP doesn't have all of these holes. It is much more stable, in general. It's also much slower, in general. That's why you dual-boot. :wink:
              Originally posted by werley_123
              The more I talk to you people, the more I realize I don't know as much about computers as I thought I did.
              Anyone who spends a decent amount of time on this site (well, before certain changes that went down a while ago) and doesn't learn something new is one of two things:
              Illiterate or God.
              Even people that are IT proffessionals, or experienced programmers, or Linux hackers who compile their own kernels have much to learn.
              But, as I said, many of those people are gone, and the few regulars that still post here only have so much combined knowledge.
              Anyway, good luck with the dual-booting. :thumb:

Comment

You're about as subtle with referrals as a kick in the face, you know that? :)

Comment

hey I'm already over there under the same screen name, though I'm sure I will be booted off soon for the politcal post I just put on, so it's all good.

And I am learning a lot, so I guess i'm not illiterate and i'm damn sure not God. :D

Comment

Originally posted by smacktard
                    You're about as subtle with referrals as a kick in the face, you know that? :)
                    What, taking the time to put BB code to turn my links blue isn't subtle?

You don't belong here, anyway.

Originally posted by Werley_123
                    hey I'm already over there under the same screen name, though I'm sure I will be booted off soon for the politcal post I just put on, so it's all good.

And I am learning a lot, so I guess i'm not illiterate and i'm damn sure not God.
                    I know, I just like to help out with advertising since "Smacktard" over here complains about needing new blood, yet I have probably brought more members over....
                    Don't worry, we all have a bunch of political posts over there. Beefy doesn't even seem to be participating, he probably won't ban you.

Comment

Working...
                    X