Is my Radeon about to die..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Radeon about to die..?

About every 10th time I start my computer or just reboot the screen looks like this.
    The problem always goes away if I reboot the system once more. The image corruption isn't all that bad in the start but if I move the mouse or open a window it gets very ugly as you can see.

This started a couple of weeks ago and since then I've also updated to the newest drivers which didn't help.

This must be due to a hardware fault right? I think my 9800Pro is about to die on me. The whole system is running stock at stock speed.

Also, it doesn't matter if the computer is warm or cold it still happens about every 10th start/reboot.

Any ideas..

(The image res & quality is considerably reduzed but you get the point.)

I had that problem when i first bought my 9800, of course it was stock. Can it possibly be a drivers issue? I also had that problem when i had my clock at 400/300. Hope it doesn't die on you, cause that just sucks
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Its easy to tell when its about to die- the computer stats saying '9800 Pro is about to die'- oh, sorry, thats Gauntlet.

Seriously, thats looks nasty- I hope that its not going to die on you. If it wasn't for the fact that it only does it every 10th time, I would say overclocked to death, or maybe your video card HSF came lose. I would check that, but as its intermittent, who knows......

Comment

I would check the temperatures. ^^ is probably right about the hsf coming loose.
        CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
        Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
        RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
        GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
        PSU: Thermaltake 500w
        SC: Audigy 2 zs
        LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
        Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
        Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

double-check the cables and give it a good dusting

Comment

Damn, my slow brain.

RESEAT. I forgot all about that- I once saw a computer with similar problems, did the card reseat, and bingo! Running computer.

While your in the engine compartment, I'd make sure that all the other things (molex's, ATX cable, IDE's etc.) are pluged in.

Also, do you have the V/C molex coming from the same cable as lots of other things? I once saw a computer that had everything (1 dvd, 1 cdrw, 2hdd's, 2 80mm fans) plugged into the one cable. It was seriously unstable, and had some other problems- including a clagged display. When a reasonable setup was done, the unstability went, and the display came all clean.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The__tweaker
              [B]This must be due to a hardware fault right? I think my 9800Pro is about to die on me. [/IMG]

Yo Tweaker, if you have installed any unqualified video drivers recently............you may need to download and run Driver + cab cleaner As i had nearly the same prob lately after instaling Nforce 55.56 beta's.........everything seemed rather normal till i ran any Bench other than 3dMark 03......then holy hell
              would brake loose till i re-booted. And if i ran any DirectX 9+ games at 1600x1200, upon ending game my screen res on both
              my dual monitors would spaz like a spontanious reboot and then
              return at the game res with blue screens of death on both desktops..........one more re-boot and that same OC artifact type **** you're getting. I realize ya got an ATI, but the linked driver applys for both ATI/nForce cards and it cured my prob except that i can no longer run 3Dmarks older than 03. Other than that Brother, all i can suggest is testing your PSU/Connex :shrug:

Otherwise, ya might consider re-seating your HSF/CPU. Or ask your next door neighbor to get a lower powered dildo:rofl:
              Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

It was hardware releated, I just opened up my case.

Problem most likely solved.. :o

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
                  It was hardware releated, I just opened up my case.

Problem most likely solved.. :o
                  so what happened? did it die on you or just some reseating helped?
                  Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                  Last Updated:
                  10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                  ======================
                  jabber : [email protected]
                  =======================
                  Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                  yabaa dabaa doo...
                  Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
                  X