Problem with the DVD-rom drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with the DVD-rom drive

In the BIOS, my DVD can b read, but when i get into windows it doesn't show. whats going on?! I know its not dead, cuz i tried it using the primary on my ide cable instead of slave, and it loaded up fine. Any ideas? :shrug:

Some hardware details would help a lot (especially how ya have the Primary/Secondary IDE channels setup and with what is set as slaves and masters) plus have ya tried another IDE cable and double checked the jumper settings of the drives involved are correct? :?:

Comment

ok floppy disk isn't working either.... can't read anytthing but shows up in windows. The rounded cables aren't broken. :) but something else is :( My CDRW is primary and DVD is secondary i never changed the jumper settings, so it should work, it stopped working after i installed the 2 rounded cables and the fan controller. @_@?

Comment

OK then if the rounded IDE cables exceed 18" (450mm) then that's likely where the prob is (can't remember the spec length for the floppy cable atm but I think that is 24" or 600mm) but have ya tried puttin' the old cables back in to see if the prob persists? Also the fan controller maybe drawin' power away from the drives. :?:

Comment

the old cables don't work neither. The fan controller is powered by a seperate psu wire. The cd's and floppy are on cept they can't read anything. The dvd drive is not recognized in windows, i mean like no F: drive only E: :(

Comment

Full hardware details would still likely be helpful (unless ya don't know what they are :D ) but did ya add any extra fans to ya system with the fan controller? What rating is the power supply? Did ya ground any static electricity out of your body before goin' into the case to make those changes? Have ya tried removin' the mobo controllers for those drives from the device manager and then rebootin'? :?:

Comment

ok after resetting the ide controllers, the floppy drive isn't recognized in windows, only the cdrw is read. But it still recognizes them in the BIOS when i choose to auto detect them. And by hardware settings what do u mean? :shrug:

Comment

i think its a software problem because the floppy makes noise when i try to explore it and i also tested it on my old cpu. DVD drive is not being recognized. i'm pretty sure its software, kept screwing around in the bios with controllers and crap like that but i still got nothing! :steam:

Comment

k after reinstalling xp, the dvd works, cept the floppy doesn't work .... NOOO! :shrug:

Comment

i'm going to try to reformat both c and d drive start clean may b it'll work then P_P;;;

Comment

I don't think that ya such a smart asien then (whatever an asien is :?: ) as I said "full hardware details" not "hardware settings" which means the makes and models of components that make up your PC. Plus ya really need to learn how to use the edit button instead of makin' a string of posts. :rolleyes2

Be sure that ya didn't install the floppy cable backwards (but ya may have done that to the IDE cable as well).

Comment

sry i'm so stupid. I'm using a sony floppy drive, i tried resetting the cmos, same problem, i have an abit nf7-s v.2 the cables aren't put on wrong cuz i tried them in every position already. Dvd stops being recognized as soon as i install the nforce drivers. Is there a software thats not floppy in which i can reformat my entire hard drive? would that help? deleting a partition? or something like fdisk? It may have to do with my BIOS settings because the floppy isn't recognized even in the windows xp setup, where u make a recovery disk. Powers not the problem, unplugged the nexus fan controller, and i tried using different psu wire for floppy same thing. Should i try installing a second floppy like a B drive or something? and c if that works? All i no is this is getting annoying for u too probably... sry for the trouble lol :blah:

Comment

Boot with the XP CD and the repair console can do that for ya plus typin' "help" at the prompt will give ya all the commands that ya need but they're basically the same as DOS.

Comment

Ok i tried doing the repair thing, got to the prompt tried to format, nothing happens, where it says would u like to format, i put "y" for yes and it goes straight back to the prompt. no fdisk on that either.

Comment

Did you ever take a minute to think maybe ya Floppy Drive is dead?

Comment

Working...
                              X