Need Some Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Help

I'm normally a good computer guy and I know what goes wrong most of the time but i have done everything. My video card dies out alot I have replaced it about 3 times now it is a powercolor Radeon 9700Pro 128DDR. my games crashed alot, it wont use the 8x AGP mode on my motherboard I have an ASUS A7N8X-DX motherboard, CPU is Athlon XP 3200, ram 2gb 3200DDR. I am out of thoughts I have no clue what is kiling my video card I have a good 450 Watt power supply. I need some help!! oh the video card wont even use its FSAA at all now and my games crash maybe every 15-20 mins.

:snip: :snip: :flames:

have you tried updating the motherboard bios?

Comment

heh I forgot all about that lol my bad. Well I installed the newest version But my video card still wont work normal.

Comment

Ok, did you install the proper chipset/agp drivers right after the os install? What os are you using? Are you sure those gfx cards were dead? Did you try them on another machine?
        Now about other components, what hsf are you using?
        athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
        tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
        asus a7n8xe-dlx
        thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
        bfg 6800gt
        seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
        samsung dvdrw
        2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
        logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
        2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
        creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
        mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
        DFI infinity nf4 ultra
        thermaltake tsunami dream -black
        seagate sataII 500gb
        evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
        samsung sata dvd-rw
        2x1024 ocz black
        logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
        ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

CYDEATH, are you absolutely sure your PSU is good? Have you tested it?

Comment

What is hsf havnt heard that term or psu. My os is XP i always install the right drivers. I'm sure it isnt the video card that I do know I just been testing to see whats up, whats goin on.

Comment

Originally posted by CYDEATH
              What is hsf havnt heard that term or psu. My os is XP i always install the right drivers.
              HSF-Heatsink/Fan on the CPU
              PSU-Power Supply Unit

Also, are you sure you installed Chipset driversm then Video card drivers? I made this screw up once and it took me a minute to realize it

Comment

Yeah yeah thats right thnx heh umm i dunno I do know I just got my power supply its 450 watts, the heatsink I'm not sure I have been thinking about that lately though I wonder if it is my CPU. the problem I'm actualy having is that the video card isnt working I replaced it and it worked the first day then it died out it stopped using 8x agp and stuff. I am currently looking at the CPU though Everything was awsome on my old motherboard though no crashes or anything but it didnt have 8x agp. Ill try going back to my old power supply and I will send my CPU back for replacement heatsink.

Comment

What can I use to test my power I dont know a good program. or a good way to do that. I'm not sure but is it ok to use like 2100+ ddr ram with 2100+ cpu is that compatable kinda new to the amd stuff. What do you mean chip set drivers? the motherboard or the video card?. when i put in my card windows automaticaly installs drivers for my video card after that I install the drivers from the site if thats what you mean.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help guys. My brian woke up and figured it all out I had an Idea or a FEELING what was makin my video card not work. It's fixed now running everything like it should.

:cool: :devil: :laugh: :cheers: :D

Comment

So.. What was the problem..

Comment

I forgot to install my Nforce Driver for my mother board that enables my AGP and all sorts of stuff. I kept thinking it was my on board sound only driver.

Comment

Originally posted by CYDEATH
                          I forgot to install my Nforce Driver for my mother board that enables my AGP and all sorts of stuff. I kept thinking it was my on board sound only driver.
                          Just as was suggested many times up above :rolleyes:

Comment

i had no idea what you were saying up there. so i went to the ati site and took a look at the install drivers guide said everything right there. Then it hit me I knew what it was. I didnt know what you meant by chipset well i mean what chipset. Because there is a chip on the video card there is one on the motherboard and so on.

Comment

The reason for the os not having the right drivers is because the os is usually older than the chipset. All motherboards come with a disc for this reason. After time passes, the disc becomes obsolete because the drivers on it get too old to work with newer add on/in hardware/software that is trying to work with them. So then you go to the chipset website and get the newest ones. In a few cases the chipsets are mixed(2 brands on one mobo), goto the mobo website in these cases.
                              Be paticularly sneaky with sis or nvidia chipsets and have the absolute newest downloaded and waiting on cd for right after the os install (if it even completes with sis 735 and xp). I have had some who's lan(sis)/northbridge(both)/agp(nvidia) did not function correctly and generally crash before getting to the net to get them. Sis 735 or 648fx are the worst for this.
                              athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                              tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                              asus a7n8xe-dlx
                              thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                              bfg 6800gt
                              seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                              samsung dvdrw
                              2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                              logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                              2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                              creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                              mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                              DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                              thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                              seagate sataII 500gb
                              evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                              samsung sata dvd-rw
                              2x1024 ocz black
                              logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                              ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Working...